Mai counsels pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, diagnostic, and technology companies on a wide range of complex licensing, collaborations, joint ventures, strategic alliances, and other intellectual property-focused transactions.
She also advises public and private life sciences companies on commercial transactions related to the manufacturing, supply, distribution and commercialization of their technology and products.
Mai regularly advises companies on the IP aspects of their M&A transactions.
As part of her practice, she also represents research and academic institutions and life sciences companies in forming public-private partnerships and drafting and negotiating consortium agreements, grant agreements, joint research and development agreements, and sponsored research agreements.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Mai was part-time seconded to a major drug manufacturer, where she worked on drug manufacturing and supply agreements as well as agreements with pharmacy benefit managers, group purchasing organizations and specialty pharmacies.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Mai advised on the following matters:
- USD 1.5 billion+ exclusive license agreement between CSPC Pharmaceutical Group Limited and Elevation Oncology, Inc. to supply, develop and commercialize SYSA1801, a clinical stage antibody drug conjugate (ADC) targeting Claudin18.2, in all global territories outside Greater China.
- USD 700 million+ exclusive license agreement between CSPC Pharmaceutical Group Limited and Corbus Pharmaceutical Holdings to supply, develop and commercialize SYS6002, a clinical stage antibody drug conjugate (ADC) targeting Nectin-4, in the U.S., Australia, Canada, and varied European countries.
- Represented ACEA Therapeutics in an exclusive license agreement with Sorrento Therapeutics to develop and commercialize Abivertinib, a novel small molecule tyrosine kinase inhibitor (TKI) that selectively targets both mutant forms of the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and Bruton’s tyrosine kinase (BTK).
- Represented ACEA Therapeutics in USD 488 million merger and acquisition transaction by their licensee, Sorrento Therapeutics.
- Represented Kindred Biosciences in an exclusive license agreement with Elanco Animal Health Incorporated to globally develop and commercialize KIND-030, a monoclonal antibody targeting canine parvovirus (CPV).
- Represented Kindred Biosciences, Inc. in USD 440 million acquisition transaction by their licensee, Elanco US, Inc.
- Represented Sanuwave Health in a license and marketing agreement with Celularity Inc. to commercialize BIOVANCE® Human Amniotic Membrane Allograft and Interfyl® Human Connective Tissue Matrix.
- Represented MyChem, a privately held provider of proprietary, ultra-pure nucleotides to customers in the diagnostics, pharma, genomics and research markets, in connection with its USD 240 million sale to Maravai (NASDAQ: MRVI).
- Advised LIVEKINDLY Collective on the commercial and intellectual property aspects of its establishment, together with RCL Foods, of a plant-based joint venture, LIVEKINDLY Collective Africa.
- Represented Special New Fruit Licensing (SNFL) in its acquisition of International Fruit Genetics (IFG).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Co-Founder & Co-Organizer, Boston Life Sciences Showcase
- Co-Founder & President, VietChallenge
- Massachusetts~United States (2017)
- Boston College Law School (JD) (2017)
- Harvard Law School (LLM) (2013)
- Diplomatic Academy of Vietnam (BA, cum laude) (2008)