Representative Legal Matters
Worked with a range of US and international corporate clients, including numerous high-tech companies.
Advised US companies and worked closely with Japanese lawyers on the commercial, corporate, intellectual property and tax law aspects of Japanese operations.
Prepared and reviewed distribution, licensing, OEM and joint venture agreements.
Acted for US clients in relation to corporate tax planning for Japanese operations and tax planning for US expatriates stationed in Japan.
Represented US clients in administrative proceedings and litigation in tax and intellectual property matters.
Represented and assisted Japanese companies with respect to their US operations involving US and multinational tax planning, US acquisitions, US tax controversies (especially transfer pricing matters) and US litigation.
- Tax - Band 1, Chambers Asia (2011 - 2020)
- International Trade - Band 1, Chambers Asia (2011 - 2020)
- Tax: Foreign - Leading Lawyer, Legal 500 (2010 - 2020)
- Leading global tax lawyers, Asia Pacific Legal 500, ITR World Tax and Chambers Asia (2020)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California Bar Association - Member
- Georgia Bar Association - Member
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- International Fiscal Association - Member
- American Chamber of Commerce in Japan's tax committee - Co-Chair
- Foreign Registered Lawyer (gaikokuho jimu bengoshi)~Japan (1996)
- Georgia~United States (1992)
- California~United States (1990)
- Stanford University (JD) (1990)
- Harvard University (AB) (1981)
- Co-author, "Japan, BNA Global Tax Guide", BNA, London, 2009 (and subsequent updates)
- Co-author, "Japan’s Corporate Tax Measures in Response to Covid-19", Daily Tax Report: International, Bloomberg Tax, October 2020
- Co-author, "Japan", Handling Tax Disputes In Asia Pacific 2020, Baker McKenzie, October 2020
- Co-author, "Kon'nichiwa, Nihon! Baker McKenzie breaks down the Key Legislation of the Island Nation", Hubbis, September 2020
- Co-author, "What Japan's 2019 Reform Means For Mulnaonals", Tax Notes International, Tax Notes, November 2019