Jesus A. Villegas-Ruiz joined Baker McKenzie in 2022 as a senior associate. Jesus advises domestic and multinational companies on the full scope of corporate transactions, including corporate governance matters, compliance and internal investigations, tax, and marketing and regulatory law. He has a strong track record of providing insightful advice to companies on matters of regulatory and business law. Jesus has been a professor in various renowned universities in Venezuela and has been recognized and awarded for his work on compliance studies in Venezuela.
Jesús has handled regulatory clearance for complex and unique transactions and business projects. In his practice, Jesus has advised regarding complex internal investigations, assisted in corporate governance matters, and provided strategic advice regarding regulatory and tax law. Also, he has advised on the most complex antitrust issues for his clients and their regulatory implications. Jesús works closely with clients to develop a deep understanding of their business, positioning himself not only to provide the answer, but also to assist each client in finding the right and workable business solution. Jesus focuses his practice in several industries, including consumer goods and retail; hotels, resorts, tourism; healthcare and life sciences; and industrials, and manufacturing and transportation.
Representative Legal Matters
- Led the legal team who closed a cross-border transaction between companies in Barbados with tax implications for a Venezuelan corporation for a transaction worth USD 20 million.
- Led the legal team who set the legal strategy that won in the Supreme Court union litigation for an important FMCG corporation in Venezuela.
- Leading sanctions counsel for an international company in Venezuela and provided critical legal advice to mitigate business sanctions risk exposure.
- Led the initiative to legally transfer an important trademark in the protection of an FMCG corporation worth USD 5 million.
- Counseled and led a special team to analyze and implement VAT in foreign currency for commercial operations for an important FMCG corporation.
- Counseled and implemented a worldwide project for anti-bribery screening for business suppliers for an important corporation in Venezuela.
- Counseled an important FMCG company in the sale of all the IP assets and licensing in Venezuela in a transaction worth USD 60 million.
- Represented and implemented a legal strategy for an expropriated hotel in its judicial trial against the Ministry of Defense.
Premio de la Academia de Ciencias Políticas y Sociales de Venezuela "Dr. José Santiago Nuñez Aristimuño"
Professional Associations and Memberships
Caracas Bar Association
- Venezuela (2015)
- University of Pennsylvania Law School (Master of Comparative Law) (2018)
- University of Pennsylvania Wharton School (Certificate in Business and Law) (2018)
- Boston University School of Law (LLM) (2017)
- Harvard University Law School (Program on Negotiation, Mediation & Conflict Management) (2017)
- Central University of Venezuela (JD, magna cum laude) (2015)
- Author, "Derecho económico y programas de cumplimiento," Revista Electrónica de Derecho Administrativo Venezolano - CIDEP, 2022.
- Author, "Algunos problemas de cumplimiento trasnacional," Anuario de la Maestría de Derecho Internacional Privado y Comparado No. 4 de la Universidad Central de Venezuela, 2022.
- Author, "Introducción al estudio del Derecho del Cumplimiento Normativo y Análisis Regulatorio de la empresa," Revista Venezolana de Derecho Mercantil, 2021.
- Author, "La corrupción y su impacto empresarial," Revista Electrónica de Derecho Administrativo Venezolano - CIDEP, 2021.
- Author, "Empresa, Derechos Humanos y Responsabilidad Social," Revista Venezolana de Derecho Mercantil, 2021.
- Author, "Sanciones Económicas Internacionales," Anuario de la Maestría de Derecho Internacional Privado y Comparado No. 3 de la Universidad Central de Venezuela , 2021.
- Author, "Algunos problemas del Derecho Público venezolano actual," Anuario de la Especialización en Derecho Administrativo de la Universidad Central de Venezuela, 2020.
- Author, "Oil & Gas International Dispute Resolution in context: The example of Exxon Mobil v. Venezuela," Anuario de la Maestría en Derecho Internacional Privado y Comparado No. 2 de la Universidad Central de Venezuela, 2020.
- Author, "The complex overlap between administrative and criminal law: some policy considerations and AML regulations," Revista Electrónica de Derecho Administrativo Venezolano, 2020.
- Author,"Regulaciones sectoriales y el requisito de consulta pública contenido en el Decreto con Rango, Valor y Fuerza de Ley Orgánica de Administración Pública," Anuario de la Especialización en Derecho Administrativo de la Universidad Central de Venezuela, 2019.
- Author, "Problemas prácticos en la Ley de Expropiación por Causa de Utilidad Pública y leyes conexas," Anuario de la Especialización en Derecho Administrativo de la Universidad Central de Venezuela, 2018.
Baker & McKenzie SC is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.