Suriyong Tungsuwan joined Baker McKenzie in 1982 and became a partner in 1993. He is active in the areas of corporate and commercial law, mergers and acquisitions, real estate and property development, labour, employment, executive transfers, and trade regulations and customs.
Mr. Tungsuwan leads the Trade & Commerce, Customs and Labour and Employment Practice Groups in Bangkok. He also co-leads the Japan Advisory Group. With over 30 years of experience with the Firm, he has become well-recognized for advising and applying his knowledge to serve a wide variety of multinational and local companies in various industries in a broad range of commercial transactions and matters. His extensive experience lies in foreign direct investment, mergers and acquisitions, labour and employment, real estate, hotel/resort and property development, customs and trade matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted as lead partner for Japanese logistics company in the total transaction scheme of regional restructuring, including bidding arrangements and drafting contract which involves various license requirements relevant to logistics business.
- Acted as lead partner in Japanese companies' acquisition of local companies' shares in Thailand.
Labour & Employment
- Represented commercial banks and other business enterprises in Thailand in downsizing programs.
- Represented Japanese banks and other multinational companies in restructuring their workforces in Thailand as a result of business consolidations/mergers of their businesses.
- Assisted investors in legal due diligence investigations, joint ventures, land and business acquisitions, permit and license procurement, and hotel and residential development of projects.
- Advised developers of and investors in hotel, resort, and villa projects, as well as their business partners and investors, in relation to hotel management agreements, licensing agreements, renovation agreements, and technical service agreements.
- Assisted a major Japanese auto company in defending criminal allegation by customs official and the Department of Special Investigation with respect to violation of terms and conditions of customs privileges under International Trade Agreement.
- Advised a major Korean construction and engineering contractor in the petrochemicals industry, (i) defending a criminal allegation of violating import licensing requirements under the customs and hazardous substances laws, and (ii) a customs valuation of multiple shipments of gas separation equipment, under a single tariff rate.
Investment, Corporate & Commercial
- Acted for foreign investors in various industries in establishing business operations and presences in Thailand, including advising on Board of Investment promotion, the Foreign Business Law, company law and related issues, and corporate structuring and restructuring.
- Drafted and reviewing all types of commercial contracts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- The Thai Real Estate Association
- Thai Chamber of Commerce - Member, Customs Sub-committee
- Thailand (1982)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1991)
- University of Texas (Certificate American Law Orientation Program) (1989)
- Institute of Legal Education (Barrister-at-Law) (1982)
- Thammasat University (LL.B.) (1980)
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.