Katarzyna Tobiasz-Dumania is an associate in the IP/IT department of Baker McKenzie Warsaw. She practices law in the field of industrial property since 1999. Before joining Baker McKenzie, Katarzyna worked for a law firm focused on trademark litigation and unfair competition and had her own practice as a patent attorney. Katarzyna Tobiasz-Dumania has experience in IP prosecution and litigation. Katarzyna is a Polish and European Patent Attorney and is also authorized to represent Clients before EUIPO and WIPO.
Katarzyna Tobiasz-Dumania is experienced in IP-related litigation (trademarks, designs, patents, unfair competition). She also represents clients in prosecution and cancellation matters and advises on various IP-related aspects of their businesses. She represents clients from various industries (FMCG, pharma, media).
Representative Legal Matters
- Successfully representing one of the biggest Polish producer of confectioneries in recovering its nationalized trademark.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company, the owner of the renown trademark, in a case against parallel importer who unlawfully repackaged pharmaceutical products into new boxes.
- Advised a global pharmaceutical company on IP-related issues resulting from the global transaction regarding the sale of part of the company’s business. Helped the client to accommodate their needs relating to the use of brands on medicine products within the structure of the transaction and having regard to the local regulatory requirements. Co-drafted respective license agreement.
- Advised an Austrian developer and producer of technologies for the plastic processing industry regarding a complex patent and design case. The case involved seizures during trade fairs in very limited time period and advisory regarding ability to start litigations against a non EU company in the most favorable venue for the client.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in a major patent litigation case over a medical device.
- Represented a world-renowned producer of industrial furnaces in a patent litigation case.
- Represented an FMCG company in an unfair competition litigation case against one of its main competitors in Poland regarding a new series of ice creams on the Polish market introduced by a competitor in similar packaging.
- Co-authored complex strategy to defend one of the major Polish brands in food industry.
- Advised a world-renowned multinational consumer goods producer on look-alike regulations and case-law in Poland.
- Represented the major crosswords publisher in the dispute with the Polish Patent Office related to the notion of acquired distinctiveness.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Polish Chamber of Patent Attorneys - Legislative Council
- Poland (2005)
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (IIT) (LL.M.) (2001)
- Warsaw University (Legal Master) (1997)
Baker McKenzie Krzyżowski i Wspólnicy Spółka Komandytowa