Marc Thorley is a partner in the Baker McKenzie Dispute Resolution team, based in London. Marc joined the Firm from another leading multinational firm in 2020 having been a partner there for 12 years, located in London and Hong Kong, and acting as the firm’s Asia Head of Dispute Resolution.
Chambers 2020 describes Marc as a "seasoned litigator", and praised him for having "particular experience in financial litigation", "misconduct investigations, breach of contract and mis-selling claims". He is also recognised by other directories for his strong litigation background, including Legal 500.
Marc has substantial experience in dealing with a broad range of complex litigation, investigations and regulatory matters. He specialises in financial services sector, acting for banks (investment, retail and commercial) and other industry participants. Examples of his experience are:
- Litigation arising out of complex autocall structured products
- Investigating issues arising out of a delta one / total return swap business
- A major and sensitive conduct investigation for a global FI
- Insider dealing investigation for a leading FI
- Dispute between two international FIs over the interpretation of ISDA master documentation, in the context of lookalike swaps
- Advising a major FI on a significant retail mis-selling issue, including advising on complicated regulatory aspects
Marc also specialises in corporate litigation, where his experience includes major M&A litigation, breach of warranty claims, directors’ duties disputes, acting for both vendors and purchasers in large completion accounts disputes, substantial shareholder dispute proceedings, and disputes relating to earn out entitlements.
Marc is committed to pro bono work, with a particular focus on access to justice
- Hong Kong (2018)
- England & Wales (Solicitor) (2003)
- New Zealand (1995)
- University of Oxford (Bachelor of Civil Law) (1999)
- University of Auckland (LLB (Hons)) (1995)
- University of Auckland (BCom) (1994)