Eunice Tan is a local principal in the Financial Services & Regulatory Practice Group of Baker McKenzie Wong & Leow. She has significant experience in financial services regulations, and focuses on regulatory and compliance issues in the financial services and insurance sectors.
Eunice regularly advises fund managers, insurers, banks, brokers, financial advisers and other capital markets intermediaries on a wide range of regulatory and compliance matters. She also assists financial institutions in M&A and restructuring, focusing on transaction structuring and advice on regulatory issues and approvals.
Representative Legal Matters
Financial Services Regulations and Compliance
- Advised numerous fund managers, brokers, corporate finance advisers, market operators, money brokers, futures, forex and commodity traders and other capital markets intermediaries on: (i) initial set up of operations, structuring and licensing requirements under various legislation, (ii) securing licenses and approvals from the Monetary Authority of Singapore, (iii) compliance with ongoing regulatory and business conduct rules and (iv) internal policies, compliance manuals, AML/KYC policies, governance, outsourcing and risk management framework.
- Advised numerous fund managers on regulatory requirements on offering of funds and securing registrations of retail and restricted funds.
- Advised numerous financial institutions on other regulatory and compliance matters, including customer documentation, rules on sale of investment products, securities offering rules, market misconducts, substantial shareholdings disclosure and other regulatory reporting requirements.
- Advised LGT Group Foundation on its acquisition of ABN AMRO’s private banking business in Singapore, Hong Kong and Dubai with approximately USD 20 billion assets under management in 2016.
- Advised Wells Fargo on its acquisition of GE Capital's commercial distribution finance and factoring business in Asia in 2016.
- Advised Sompo Japan Nipponkoa on its long-term regional non-life bancassurance distribution agreement with CIMB Group.
- Advised various insurance companies and financial advisers on regulatory and compliance issues, including: (i) set up of insurance business operations in Singapore, (ii) structuring and securing licenses to operate insurance business in Singapore, (iii) reviewed policy terms and conditions, product documentation and assisted with application for product approvals, (iv) advised on legal and contractual matters relating to life and universal life policies, including requirements on insurable interest, nomination of beneficiaries, premium financing, assignment of policies and commissions and (v) advised on regulatory matters relating to offer of offshore insurance products and arrangements with distributors.
- Advised Sompo Japan Nipponkoa on the transfer of the former Tenet Insurance Company Limited and Nipponkoa Insurance Co., Ltd. Singapore Branch's insurance businesses to Sompo Insurance Singapore Pte. Ltd. by way of Court-approved schemes in 2012 and 2013, respectively.
Regulatory audits and investigations
- Advised a global bank on its investigations into potential market misconducts of its traders.
- Advised a fund manager on potential breaches of AML/KYC policies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Barrister-at-Law (Lincoln’s Inn, England) - Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Singapore (2007)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2005)
- King's College London, UK (2004)
Baker & McKenzie.Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.