Jonathan Tam is licensed to practice law in California (US) and Ontario (Canada), and focuses on global privacy, technology transactions, intellectual property and cybersecurity. Jonathan is passionate about advising clients on how to achieve their commercial objectives while managing legal risks and challenges associated with activities involving data, technology and media.
He regularly contributes to, and is on the editorial board of, b:INFORM, a digital magazine hosted by Baker McKenzie designed for privacy and technology professionals. He has completed secondments at a global payment services provider based in London, England and a world-leading tech company based in Silicon Valley. Jonathan was awarded a Baker McKenzie International Clerkship in 2014, during which Jonathan worked for the privacy, technology and outsourcing practice group of the Firm’s Chicago office.
Jonathan advises clients, including Fortune 500 companies, public bodies and startups, on compliance with data privacy and protection laws around the world, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the US Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Canadian privacy and anti-spam laws.
He has represented leading tech companies in connection with the negotiation of commercial agreements, and coordinated tech-related due diligence relating to multi-billion dollar corporate transactions. He is well-versed in the legal considerations that apply to many of the world’s cutting-edge technologies, including AI-driven solutions, blockchain, wearables, connected cars and IoE offerings.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a world-leading technology company and coordinated global due diligence in connection with the acquisition of an international security company.
- Advised a multinational technology company on privacy and medical device regulatory issues relating to the roll-out of cutting-edge consumer electronic devices.
- Counseled a global technology company on the privacy issues associated with gathering ambient data to hone machine learning algorithms.
- Managed a data protection impact assessment of a global technology company’s operations and coordinated the provision of data protection advice in over 20 jurisdictions.
- Acted for a global telematics device and platform provider in connection with the expansion of its data processing activities and the implementation of local distribution and data processing agreements.
- Audited a leading clothing retailer’s e-commerce platform for compliance with privacy, e-commerce, consumer protection, anti-spam and gift card laws.
- Registered a global technology company as a telecommunications service provider with Canada’s telecommunications regulator and advised on related reporting, licensing, payment and other obligations.
- Developed data privacy, data protection and information governance compliance programs for numerous organizations, from mid-sized local enterprises to multinational conglomerates spanning the globe.
- Negotiated services, licensing, distribution and data processing agreements in a variety of industries and contexts for numerous clients in the technology space.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- California Lawyers Association - International Law Section
- Canadian IT Law Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) - Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Harvard Club of Toronto
- Recipient, Robert E. Deignan Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Contribution, 2015 and 2016
- Founder, U of T Law Inspires, an annual legal scholarship event that has taken place at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law since 2013
- California (2017)
- Ontario (2014)
- University of Toronto (JD, Hons) (2013)
- Harvard University (BA, magna cum laude) (2010)
Editor, b:INFORM, Baker McKenzie
Co-author, Trade Secret Protection Measures and New Harmonized Laws, Computer Law Review International, 2016
Co-author, Canadian chapter of The Technology, Media and Telecommunications Review, The Law Reviews, 2015
Co-author, Canadian chapter of The Government Procurement Review, The Law Reviews, 2015
Co-author, "Canada’s Anti-Spam Law," Getting the Deal Through, Law Business Research, 2014