Mr. Silverman’s practice focuses on advising foreign multinational companies and private equity funds on mergers and acquisitions, foreign direct investment, as well as business and legal issues in the PRC. He also counsels foreign investors on environmental diligence, documentation and risk management in relation to their projects in China.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a NYSE-listed, multinational medical equipment manufacturer regarding distribution structure in China, distribution agreements, establishment of a trading company and medical equipment operations licensing requirements, and employment, contract and dispute matters.
- Advising a NYSE-listed, world-leading gaming technology manufacturer on China entry strategy, entity formation and ongoing contractual, labor and importation issues of a R&D subsidiary in Beijing, China.
- Acting for a leading provider of geophysical technology, services, and solutions for the global oil and gas industry in its joint venture with China’s largest oil and gas producer to engage in the R&D of advanced geophysical equipment and technology.
- Advising a public, leading aluminum manufacturer on the acquisition of a 50% interest in a state-owned enterprise operating alumina and power assets in Shanxi Province, China; acquisition of smelters, refineries and power plants from a State-owned enterprise in Yunnan, Province, China; and 50/50 joint venture with China Aluminum Corporation.
- Advising a NYSE-listed communications infrastructure components manufacturer on the sale of a global business division (including China manufacturing) to Chinese investors.
- Acting for a NYSE-listed manufacturer of medium and heavy trucks in the negotiation and establishment of a 50/50, RMB 3 billion joint venture with a leading Chinese truck manufacturer to manufacture medium-duty and heavy-duty trucks and components.
- Advising a U.S. Fortune 100 company on environmental issues in relation to its acquisition of substantially all of the business and assets of a leading Chinese manufacturer of electrical wiring and lighting products and establishment of a joint venture with the Chinese seller to hold and operate the acquired business and assets.
- Advising a leading US heavy equipment manufacturer on environmental impact assessment requirements relating to a relocation and expansion of its manufacturing facilities in China.
- Advising a leading US multinational computer manufacturer on hazardous chemical regulations and labelling requirements in China.
- Advising a leading US multinational on environmental compliance issues in relation to its R&D facility in China.
- California~United States (2001)
- University of California at Los Angeles (J.D.) (2001)
- University of California at Santa Cruz (B.A.) (1994)