Scott Silverman practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and environmental advisory. He graduated from the University of California at Santa Cruz with a B.A. and earned his J.D. from the University of California at Los Angeles. Mr. Silverman is admitted to practice in California.
Mr. Silverman’s practice focuses on advising foreign multinational companies and private equity funds on mergers and acquisitions, foreign direct investment, as well as business and legal issues in the PRC. He also counsels foreign investors on environmental diligence, documentation and risk management in relation to their projects in China.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a Chinese State-owned petroleum company on its USD3.1 billion dollar acquisition of a 50 percent interest in a joint venture with oil and gas exploration and production operations in South America.
- Advising a leading provider of geophysical technology, services, and solutions for the global oil and gas industry on the formation of a joint venture in China with China’s largest oil and gas producer to engage in global R&D of advanced geophysical equipment and technology.
- Advising a public, world leading aluminum manufacturer on the acquisition of a 50 percent interest in a state-owned enterprise operating alumina and power assets in Shanxi Province, China; acquisition of smelters, refineries and power plants from a State-owned enterprise in Yunnan, Province, China; and 50/50 joint venture with China’s largest State-owned aluminium producer.
- Acting for a global leader in door opening solutions in the acquisition of 70 percent (with option to acquire 100 percent) of a leading PRC door security company.
- Acting for an AIM-listed investment company’s offshore and onshore acquisition of a majority interest in a major Chinese retailer of household goods.
- Advising the leading nutrition company in the US on the establishment in the PRC of a food manufacturing facility, direct selling enterprise and food distribution subsidiary and an offshore joint venture for China investments with a Chinese partner.
- Advising a NYSE-listed, multinational medical equipment manufacturer regarding distribution structure in China, distribution agreements, establishment of a trading company and medical equipment operations licensing requirements, as well as employment, contract and dispute matters.
- Advising a NYSE-listed, world leading gaming technology manufacturer on its China entry strategy, entity formation and ongoing contractual, labor and importation issues of a R&D subsidiary in Beijing, China.
- Advising a US Fortune 100 company on environmental issues in relation to its acquisition of substantially all of the business and assets of a leading Chinese manufacturer of electrical wiring and lighting products and establishment of a joint venture with the Chinese seller to hold and operate the acquired business and assets.
- California~United States (2001)
- University of California at Los Angeles (J.D.) (2001)
- University of California at Santa Cruz (B.A.) (1994)