Grace Shao practices in the areas of intellectual property, technology licensing and dispute resolution. She has advised and made presentations on various intellectual property issues for several organizations — including Judicial Yuan, Intellectual Property Office, ECCT IPL Committee, the American Institute in Taiwan and Technology Law Symposium. Ms. Shao also authored IP-related articles for Economic Daily News.
Ms. Shao has advised on — and handled — a wide range of IP enforcement matters, especially in the pharmaceutical, high-tech and entertainment industries. She particularly focuses on contract negotiation for technology licensing and litigation related to intellectual property, fair trade law and commercial matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Representing Eli Lilly and Company in patent litigations against local generic companies, and successfully obtaining a preservation of evidence order, a preliminary injunction, a provisional attachment and various other orders and reliefs.
Representing IFPI member companies in litigation against local P2P operator, Kuro, to obtain a criminal conviction for copyright infringement of recorded works and in subsequent settlement negotiations to legalize the P2P music service in Taiwan.
Coordinating and handling cross-border brand protection programs, including customs measures and Internet trademark infringement issues for Cisco and Calvin Klein.
- Advising on all aspects of IP rights applications, prosecutions and administrative litigations to protect clients’ IP rights portfolios.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- ROC Commercial Arbitration Association
- Taipei Bar Association
- Hsinchu~Taiwan (1998)
- New York~United States (1996)
- Taipei~Taiwan (1990)
- New York University School of Law (J.S.D. Law) (1998)
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. Trade Regulation) (1995)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (1993)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1988)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.