Lorenzo A. Ruiz de Velasco is a partner in the Firm’s Banking & Finance Practice Group in Mexico City. He has more than 21 years of experience advising on corporate and cross-border financial transactions, M&A projects, negotiations, divestitures and capital market matters.
Lorenzo's practice focuses on capital markets, financial transactions, mergers and acquisitions. He has negotiated and structured private equity and venture capital financing projects and advised on complex commercial transactions such as divestitures, Mexican and US-registered public offerings, offerings under Rule 144A private placement offerings outside of the US under Regulation S, exchange offers, debt tenders, consent solicitations, strategic alliances and joint ventures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Led negotiations, participated in management and investor meetings, drafted structured investment vehicle and first ever credit facility to be granted by a Mexican development bank (Sociedad Hipotecaria Federal) in favor of unspecified homebuilders in Mexico focused on renting apartments (as opposed to building residences for sale).
- Led negotiations, due diligence, as well as the drafting and review of documents for the authorization of short- and long-term note issuance of MXN 10 billion.
- Led the drafting of documents for the authorization of a MXN 1.5 billion long-term note issuance.
- Led the drafting of documents for the authorization of a MXN 2.5 billion long-term note issuance.
- Led negotiations, due diligence, as well as the drafting and review of documents for the issuance of MXN 1 billion securities.
- Led negotiations and drafting of documents for MXN 2 billion credit facilities granted to one of the largest real estate investment trusts in Mexico.
- Acted as lead Mexican counsel for lenders on the negotiations, drafting documents, due diligence and other related documentation regarding USD 800 million syndicated loan granted in favor of Ternium de México, S.A. de C.V.
- Participated and led negotiations, management meetings and drafting documents, due diligence, review of the Offering Memorandum, Placement Facilitation Agreement and other related documentation regarding the offering of shares under 144A and Regulation S, owned by the Chilean government in Aguas Andinas S.A. worth USD 1 billion.
- Participated in negotiations, management meetings, and led in the drafting of documents, due diligence, review of the Offering Memorandum, Purchase Agreement and other related documentation regarding the offering of securities under 144A and Regulation S worth USD 300 million by SMU, S.A.
- Participated in the negotiations, management meetings, and led in the drafting of documents, due diligence, review of the Offering Memorandum, Purchase Agreement and other related documentation regarding a possible 144A and Regulation S follow-on offering for one of the largest government lending Mexican financial institutions.
- New York~United States (2009)
- Mexico (2004)
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management (Certificate Business Administration) (2007)
- Northwestern University School of Law (Master of Laws, LLM) (2007)
- Universidad Iberoamericana, A.C. (JD) (2003)
Baker & McKenzie Abogados, S.C. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.