James Robinson is a partner in the London office’s EU, Competition & Trade Department, and has extensive experience in UK and EU competition law. He is a member of Baker McKenzie Global Antitrust & Competition Practice Group, and is head of the cartel task force in London.
In 2017, James was named a Future Leader in Competition Law by Who's Who Legal and GCR.
James advises across a range of competition compliance issues and investigations. In particular, he has extensive experience advising clients on all aspects of competition investigations, including audits and risk assessments, supporting clients during EU and UK dawn raids, making immunity and leniency applications to the European Commission and CMA, engaging in settlements, defending contested cases before the authorities, and undertaking appeals to the General Court and Court of Justice. James also advises on a full range of behavioral compliance issues, including distribution arrangements, market power assessments and horizontal co-operation agreements.
In addition to working in Baker McKenzie's London office, previously James has been seconded to our Brussels office, and has undertaken two client secondments with a FTSE 100 company.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Mitsubishi Electric Corporation in its defence of the European Commission Gas Insulated Switchgear cartel case, including its appeals to the General Court and Court of Justice, resulting in a EUR40 million reduction in the fine.
- Advising a Japanese multinational corporation in two separate cartel settlement proceedings before the European Commission.
- Advising a major international financial institution on internal investigations and immunity applications to the European Commission and national competition authorities.
- Advising a major international financial institution on its settlement proceedings before the European Commission.
- Advising a global media agency on an internal investigation and immunity applications to the European Commission and multiple other competition authorities around the world.
- Advising an international corporation in the fashion and sports sector on an internal investigation and immunity applications to the CMA and a number of other EU Member State competition authorities.
- Advising an international musical instrument manufacturer in its defence of a CMA investigation into alleged resale price maintenance.
- Advising a global food and drinks corporation in successfully defending an OFT (now CMA) investigation into suspected collusion in the grocery sector.
- Advising numerous multinational corporations during both European Commission and CMA dawn raids.
- Advising British Airways on the competition law assessment of its Trans-Siberian Joint Business with Japan Airlines, and the implementation of a number of its commitments arising out of its Trans-Atlantic Joint Business with American Airlines and Iberia.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2007)
- B.P.P. Law School (L.P.C.) (2005)
- B.P.P. Law School (Graduate Diploma Law) (2004)
- Oxford University (B.A. Honors) (1998)
Co-author, "Appealing a settlement: can you have your cake and eat it", International Law Office, March 2017.
Co-author, "Cartel Settlements: An overview of EU and national case law", e-Competitions - National Competition Laws Bulletin, September 2016.