Gavin Raftery is a partner of the Finance & Projects Group, and is currently the Co-Managing Partner of the Tokyo office. Gavin is also one of the heads of Baker McKenzie's Global Fintech Initiative.
He has extensive experience practicing finance law in Australia, the UK and Japan. He is listed as a leading lawyer for Banking and Finance in Japan by Chambers, Legal500 and IFLR.
Gavin focuses on acquisition finance, fintech, venture capital, financial services regulation, project finance, export and trade finance, derivatives, emissions trading, carbon finance, securitization, other structured finance transactions, and financial product development.
He acts for both Japanese and international clients on transactional and regulatory matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented the arranger and lender in a JPY1 trillion bridge loan to finance part of SoftBank Group's approximately GBP24 billion acquisition of ARM Holdings, the largest cross-border acquisition ever by a Japanese company. The transaction was awarded the TMT Deal of the Year, M&A Deal of the Year (Premium) and overall Japan Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2017.
- Represented the arranger and lender in a USD 12.5 billion loan facility to Suntory in connection with its approximately USD 16 billion acquisition of Beam. The transaction was named ASIAN-MENA Counsel Deal of the Year for 2014, and awarded 2014 Japan Deal of the Year by FinanceAsia as well as Debt Market Deal of the Year, M&A Deal of the Year and overall Japan Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2015.
- Represented the arrangers and lenders in a JPY 1.65 trillion loan to SoftBank in connection with its USD 21.6 billion acquisition of Sprint. The transaction was awarded the Debt Market Deal of the Year, M&A Deal of the Year and TMT Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2014.
- Represented the arrangers and senior lenders in connection with the financing of Bain Capital's acquisition of Skylark. The transaction was awarded the Debt Market Deal of the Year at the ALB Japan Law Awards 2012 and named the Best Private Equity Deal in Japan for 2011 by FinanceAsia.
- Represented various US, Europe and Asia Pacific based financial institutions and tech companies in connection with the launch of their online financial products and platforms in Japan.
- Represented a Japanese fintech fund in connection with its investments in multiple US-based fintech start-up companies.
- Represented a French financial institution in connection with the restructuring and expansion of its securities business in Japan.
- Represented a global auto manufacturer in connection with the structuring of, and initial six issuances under its award-winning auto loan securitization program in Japan.
- Represented various Japanese, US and European financial institutions and corporations in connection with their interest rate, currency and commodity derivatives trading and portfolio hedging activities.
- Gavin has been listed in Chambers, Legal 500 and IFLR as a leading lawyer in Japan for Banking and Finance.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Law Society of England and Wales - Member
- Active member of many industry working groups and committees including those established by the International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) and the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA)
- Foreign Registered Lawyer ~Japan (2007)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2003)
- New South Wales~Australia (1998)
- Queensland~Australia (1998)
- Singapore Management University (FinTech & Innovation) (2017)
- College of Law (Legal Practice) (1997)
- Bond University (LL.B.) (1995)
- Co-author, Japan chapter, Getting the Deal Through, Acquisition Finance, May 2018
- Contributor, #Cryptocurrencies, a Euromoney/Baker McKenzie thought leadership series, May - September 2017
- Co-author, Japan chapter, Getting the Deal Through, Market Intelligence: Project Finance 2017
- Co-author, Japan chapter, Global Financial Services Regulatory Guide, Baker McKenzie, October 2016
- Contributor, Ghosts in the Machine, a Euromoney/Baker McKenzie thought leadership report, April 2016