Hideo Ohta has been practicing law for approximately 40 years, working mainly in the areas of environment, labor, and corporate and commercial. His practice also has a particular emphasis on soil contamination prevention law, including related litigation. In addition to his practice, he is a professor of law at Chuo Law School, where he has been teaching environment law, civil litigation practice and legal clinic for six years. Mr. Ohta currently serves as a member of the Firm's Environment and Climate Change Practice Group.
Mr. Ohta focuses on providing advice and legal services in environmental law and labor law. On the labor side, he advises particularly on corporate restructuring, early retirement packages, adjustment termination, selective termination and union negotiations. His experience also includes contract law concerning joint venture projects, partnerships, hotel and resort management, franchising, technical assistance, marketing, licensing, joint development, plants manufacturing and service, due diligence relating to mergers and acquisitions, international litigation and arbitration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Performed environmental due diligence for a US company’s acquisition of factories in Japan.
- Advised clients on the development of environmental systems, including soil contamination regulations in Japan.
- Represented certain US subsidiaries in environment litigation.
- Advised clients on CERs resulting from CDM projects.
- Advised clients on ERUs resulting from JI projects, and on AAUs.
- Assisted US and German subsidiary companies in various labor issues, including early retirement as redundancy of workforce.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Japan Federation of Bar Associations
- Tokyo Bar Association
- Japan (1977)
- Queen's University (LL.M.) (1981)
- Chuo University (Bachelor's Degree Jurisprudence) (1972)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.