Patrick J. O'Gara
Baker & McKenzie LLP
Patrick O'Gara is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Corporate Tax department in London.
Patrick focuses on UK and international corporation tax planning and defence for UK and overseas multinationals and private equity investors across a range of sectors. He has a particular focus on matters related to Intellectual Property, cross-border financing, and supply chain structuring.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising several US digital companies on the audit defence of their UK and European supply chains across a range of issues, including transfer pricing, permanent establishment, and diverted profits tax.
- Advising a US oil and gas services company on the defence of its USD 1.8 billion UK financing structure following a post-merger restructuring against a HMRC audit based on thin cap, unallowable purpose test and anti-arbitrage grounds.
- Acting for a globally leading professional services company on its USD 18 billion merger with a global advisory, broking, and solutions company with 39,000 employees in more than 120 countries.
- Acting for a multinational conglomerate corporation in the consume electronics, gaming, and entertainment industry, Mubadala, the Abu Dhabi sovereign wealth fund, and a consortium of other investors on their acquisition of the EMI music publishing business in the UK, the US, France, and 24 other jurisdictions from a multinational investment banking and financial services corporation for USD 2.2 billion.
- Advising Ensco plc, the UK headquartered drilling services company, on its USD 7.1 billion acquisition of Pride International, Inc., a US specialist in deep-water projects, to create one of the world's largest offshore drillers.
- Advising a leading US pharmaceutical group on its separation and a spin-off which lead to the creation two separately listed groups.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2006)
- Nottingham Law School (Certificate Legal Practice) (2003)
- University of London (King's College) (LL.B.) (2002)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an English partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.