Montserrat has extensive experience in pharmaceutical and health law, as well as in compliance, contract law, licensing, competition law and acquisitions in the pharmaceutical sector. She is the coordinator of the healthcare practice in the Barcelona office.
She assists healthcare companies throughout the life cycle of healthcare products (drugs, IVD and medical devices, combination products, cosmetics and food supplements), from R&D to commercialization and more specifically in the areas of clinical trials (agreements, regulatory procedures, processing of personal data), market access (pricing and reimbursement), products and companies regulations (MA/CE-marking, vigilances, required licenses, product classification, labelling), commercial relations between healthcare industries (distribution, (co)promotion, manufacturing, supply, licensing, partnership agreements), relations with healthcare professionals and/or patients including compliance (anti-gift and transparency laws); communication and advertising, e-health (connected devices, telemedicine, hosting of health data) and product liability. Her practice encompasses both advisory and litigation matters.
She also has considerable experience in the drafting of codes of professional ethics and conducting compliance audits, and advising on advertising and promotion of medicines and medical devices, including via the internet, online advertising and social media. Montserrat advises on a wide range of agreements related to the pharmaceutical industry, such as license and distribution agreements, clinical trial agreements, and supply and manufacturing agreements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for many renowned corporations in the pharmaceutical and health sector in sectorial regulatory, compliance and commercial issues, as well as competition law, governmental contracts, acquisitions and general commercial matters.
- Acted for a life sciences companies regarding a public procurement procedure on the delivery of services and supplying of pacemakers (medical devices) and has a strong practice on advising pharmaceutical companies on public procurement issues regarding medicinal products and medical devices.
- Recognized as Best Lawyer of the Year in 2015, 2018, 2019, 2022 for Healthcare in Spain, Best Lawyers
- Recognized as Compliance Lawyer of the Year in 2022 in Spain, Best Lawyers
- Recognized as Pharmaceutical Lawyer of the Year in 2022 in Spain, Best Lawyers
- Ranked Band 2 in Life Sciences: Regulatory Life Sciences, Chambers Europe since 2010
- Recognized in InspiraLaw Top 50 Women List for Spain and Portugal, Iberian Lawyers 2018 and 2019
- Recognized as Tier 2 for Healthcare and Life Sciences, Legal 500 EMEA, 2020
- Recommended in Life Sciences: Regulatory, PLC Which Lawyer? since 2008
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Vice President of the Healthcare Law Committee, Barcelona Bar Association (1992)
- Member, Steering Committee, European Pharmaceuticals Practice Group, Baker McKenzie
- Barcelona~Spain (1992)
- Autonomous University of Barcelona (Political Science) (1996)
- Université de Droit, Strasbourg (Diploma in Advanced Studies in International Law) (1990)
- Université de Droit, Strasbourg (Diploma in Advanced Studies in Community Law) (1989)
- University of Barcelona (Law Degree) (1988)