Monica Kurnatowksa is a partner in the Firm’s London office. She is recognised by The Legal 500 and Chambers UK as a leading individual. Chambers say she has “impressive experience of handling complex employment disputes and advisory matters for major clients. She is known for her expertise in trade union matters.” "The breadth of her experience is phenomenal." "She is an outstanding lawyer who provides a first-class service while juggling the intense demands of running high-profile matters on behalf of her clients. She is unflappable, courteous and extremely knowledgeable”. Monica is a member of the Consultation Board of PLC Employment On-line and is a regular speaker at internal and external seminars and workshops.
Monica advises clients from sectors such as financial services, technology and manufacturing on the employment aspects of strategic projects. These include global M&A and restructuring, sensitive discrimination, whistleblowing and bonus disputes, investigations, and accountability reviews. Monica co-leads the firm’s global Inclusion and Diversity services for clients. She won the Women, Influence & Power in Law UK 2022 Lifetime Achievement Award for her efforts in championing diversity and inclusion initiatives. She has acted as a role model, active coach and sponsor throughout her career. Monica is highly regarded by clients for her ability to quickly gain an in- depth understanding of their business in order to offer the most strategic and commercial advice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Defending a global financial services employer against claims of whistleblowing and sex discrimination against a regulatory backdrop.
- Advised a global professional services organisation on an investigation into allegations of bribery and competition law breaches on the part of senior executives.
- Obtained a garden leave injunction to prevent a senior executive from joining a competitor in breach of his notice period.
- Successfully defended a global investment bank in a bonus dispute before the High Court.
- Leading on major global transactions including workforce restructurings, with particular expertise in cross border deals, including carve outs and spin-offs or sales of entities in a way that maximises shareholder value.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1997)
- College of Law at London (Legal Practice) (1995)
- University of Essex (LL.B.) (1994)
Monica co-authored Baker McKenzie’s thought leadership report “Mind the Gap” focusing on global inclusion and diversity.
She is a regular speaker at internal and external seminars and workshops.
She has also written for a number of external publications on discrimination, bonus issues, atypical workers, TUPE and outsourcing.