Hojung Jun is a member of the Tokyo office's Projects Group . She is experienced in the development and construction of industrial plants, infrastructure and mining projects. Ms. Jun previously worked for an international law firm in Tokyo, advising major Japanese clients on foreign investment, petrochemical refineries and plants complex, infrastructure and general corporate issues in various countries. She also worked for a major construction company in Korea, focusing on complicated construction agreements (including Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) agreements). She is a founding member of the Construction & Energy Committee of the Korea In-House Counsel Forum.
Ms. Jun's practice focuses on energy and petrochemical plant construction, infrastructure, mine and coal development and general corporate matters. She has experience in advising on, drafting and negotiating EPC agreements, subcontracts, concession agreements, joint venture agreements and partnership agreements in relation to infrastructure, power and mine development projects for major Japanese and Korean sponsors and contractors for their outbound projects in China, CIS countries, East Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and Southeast Asia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising a Japanese EPC contractor on its onshore and offshore subcontract agreements in relation to a power project in Iraq.
- Advised a Japanese government agency on its project structure, including a concession agreement with the Thai and Myanmar governments and draft shareholder agreements establishing SPVs to develop and carry out various infrastructure projects in the region.
- Advised and drafted a partnership agreement for a Japanese government agency in relation to its private equity fund investment based on Hong Kong and Cayman Islands laws.
- Drafted various deeds and agreements for a major Japanese chemical company in relation to the expansion of an integrated refinery and petrochemicals complex in Saudi Arabia.
- Drafted and negotiated EPC agreements in relation to a US chemical company’s two separate petrochemical plant development projects in China and in the Philippines.
- Advised a Japanese contractor on a consortium agreement and an EPC agreement in relation to its petrochemical facility construction project in Turkmenistan.
- Drafted and negotiated an EPC contract in relation to Kallpa's Mollendo gas and oil-fired power plant in Peru for the winning Korean EPC contractor.
- Advised an international EPC contractor on all aspects of the Roy Hill Iron Ore Project in Western Australia including financing, the EPC contract and early works agreement for the processing plant, port stockyard facility and railway.
- Advised an international contractor on its disputes and arbitration with the owner and a joint venture partner in relation to a port terminal construction project in Vietnam.
- Drafted and negotiated construction contracts for an international contractor (FIDIC Red and Pink Books-based), and also advised the contractor on its various disputes with the governments of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan in relation to the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Corridor 2 Road projects.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- New York (2009)
- University of Illinois College of Law (J.D.) (2009)