Don-Tobias Jol is a partner within the Amsterdam Tax practice with over 19 years of experience. He focuses on global compensation and benefits advisory, with particular emphasis on executive and equity-based compensation. Don-Tobias is a frequent author and speaker on a variety of international remuneration issues, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Global Equity Organization (GEO). He has been on international assignments to South Africa (in 2005 and 2006) and Saudi Arabia (in 2012 and 2013) to serve clients of his respective employers at the time. Don-Tobias is a member of Baker McKenzie’s Global Employment & Compensation Practice Group, and heads the Firm’s Dutch Compensation & Benefits advisory team.
Don-Tobias’ key area of expertise is global compensation and benefits, and he focuses on the fields of executive, equity and broad-based compensation. Within executive compensation, he assists multinational corporations in creating strategically aligned reward packages that comply with the relevant tax, legal and corporate governance rules. In the field of equity compensation, he designs share-based remuneration plans, and also advises on remuneration in case of mergers, acquisitions, IPOs and private equity transactions. When consulting on broad-based compensation, Don-Tobias offers wage and income tax as well as social security advisory for both local and expatriate employees, including issues such as salary splits, severance payments, corresponding pension approvals, immigration law et cetera.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm in 2018, Don-Tobias handled i.a. the following matters:
- Advised a Dutch consumer electronics company that was split off from its international parent company on the design and implementation of a new remuneration policy for its Managing Board.
- Advised a Dutch insurance company going through a demerger and subsequent IPO on the design and implementation of a new remuneration policy, including strategic HR realignment based on market practices.
- Advised a global telecommunications company in the design and implementation of executive equity plans for its newly established headquarters in The Netherlands, including feasibility study and stakeholder communications.
- Advised a global oil & gas company in setting up the remuneration strategy (including job grading, appraisal methodology and compensation & benefits benchmark) for a new venture intended for split-off within one year.
- Star Award, Global Equity Organization (GEO), 2014 and 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dutch Association of Tax Advisers (NOB) (2004)
- Global Equity Organization (GEO) (2009) - currently a member of the Board of Directors
- Amsterdam Tax Law~Netherlands (2000)
- VU University Amsterdam (Civil Law Effect) (2004)
- Leiden University (Tax Law) (2000)
Baker & McKenzie Amsterdam N.V. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.