Sofia joined Baker McKenzie in 2015. She is a senior associate in the Firm's Mergers & Acquisitions and Transactional Practice Group. She mainly advises on corporate and cross-border transactional matters, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, carve outs, corporate reorganizations and other strategic transactions, but mainly focused on a cross border nature.
Sofia has broad experience representing multinational private companies in acquisitions across multiple industries, including regulated industries as healthcare and manufacturing. She also had the opportunity of working in the the Firm's London office for a year and a half, being able to broaden her experience in her areas of expertise.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assistance to KKR with the acquisition of the majority of the Wella Business from Coty Inc.
- Assisted GSK with its joint venture with Pfizer's Consumer Healthcare business to create the world's largest over-the-counter healthcare business.
- Assistance to Platinum with the acquisition of LifeScan from Johnson & Johnson. LifeScan is a leader in blood glucose monitoring products with 2017 net revenue of approximately USD 1.5 billion.
- Assistance to Eurazeo with the potential acquisition of Oculus Holding B.V. or one of its wholly owned subsidiaries that manufactures ophthalmic surgical equipment systems, instruments, consumables and liquids for vitreoretinal and cataract surgeries.
- Assistance to Hitachi in connection the acquisition of the majority of the power grids division of ABB.
- Assisted Emerson in the global spin off and carve-out of its network power division and sale of the same to Platinum Equity and other investors.
- Assisted Emerson with acquisition from Pentair plc of its Valves & Controls business, a manufacturing and services business focused on industrial valves for use in the oil and gas and energy sectors.
- Assistance to Emerson in the carve-out of its ClosetMaid division.
- Assistance to Vertiv, with the carve-out and sale to Schneider Electric of its ASCO division.
- Assistance to Vertiv with the expansion of its Thermal Management Portfolio with the acquisition of Energy Labs.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Authorized to practice Law in Mexico on March 2012.
- Authorized Translator of the Supreme Court of the State of Jalisco, Mexico, for the languages of Spanish - English and vice versa. (2016 - Present)
- Authorized Translator by the Judicial Council of the State of Jalisco. (2014-2016)
- Certification on Public Safety by Jalisco's Civil Protection.
- University of Manchester (Master of Laws in the Faculty of Humanities in International Business and Commercial Law) (2013)
- University of Notre Dame (Specialization on the Studies of Political, Economic and Social Studies) (2011)
- ITESO Universidad Jesuita en Guadalajara (Degree in Law) (2011)
- Author, “Control and Minority Protection: Mexico: International Joint Ventures”, Thomson Reuters, 2015
- Assistance to the Forum of Private Equity, Western Region, 2017
- Assistance to the Latin America Transactional Combined Institute in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 2016
- Assistance to the International Congress of Translation and Interpretation, 2014 and 2015
- Speaker, “Doing Business in Jalisco”, American Chamber of Commerce of Mexico Guadalajara, August 2014
- Robert Shuman Seminar 2009, 2010 and 2011