María Ximena Guavita Tamayo
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S.
Ximena Guavita has more than 20 years of experience in intellectual property, particularly in the patents practice and in plant variety protection. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie in 2008, she worked in the law firms Cavelier Abogados and Castellanos & Co. She also has experience as a sales engineer as well as in water and environmental projects. Ximena is currently involved in the prosecution of patents, utility models and industrial designs, including formal and substantive examination, litigation and prosecution on plant variety protection.
Ximena also makes pro bono work for the Inventor Assistance Program (IAP) from WIPO.
Ximena's practice is focused on patent prosecution, drafting of patent applications, and patent searches, including freedom to operate, technical, legal advice and litigation for patent, utility models, and design applications filed in Colombia and abroad, as well as patent infringement analysis.
Representative Legal Matters
- Technical and legal advice for clients including Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc, Deka Products Limited Partnership, Bristol Myers Squibb Company, Alltech, Allergan, FMC Corporation, TVS Motor Company Limited, Mexichem Colombia S.A.S, Nissan Jidosha Kabushiki Kaisha and Agricultural Research and Development Limited Liability Company.
- Coordination of filing and prosecution of patent applications in Latin America, Europe and Asia for clients including Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc, Proenfar, and Eco Eolic Top System S.L.
- Involved in successful cases that were initially denied by the Colombian Patent Office, and were finally granted after filing a Reconsideration Action.
- Loughborough University (Master's Degree in Water and Environmental Management) (2002)
- American University (Chemical Engineering) (1995)
Baker & McKenzie S.A.S., is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein