Dr. Marc Gabriel is head of the Firm's Public Law Practice Group in Germany, where he also chairs the European Public Procurement Group. He is author of numerous articles and publications on public procurement law issues and regularly speaks at conferences and seminars. Marc has been recognized for his work in public procurement law and recommended in the areas of healthcare and pharmaceuticals as well as defense and security by JUVE, Chambers, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal from 2009 onwards.
Marc focuses his practice on national, European and international public procurement law, as well as public and European law aspects of privatizations. He advises and represents companies and public authorities in tender and review procedures, especially on the areas of the healthcare, public infrastructure and transportation systems and military procurement. Marc also counsels on administrative proceedings, state aid investigations, infringement procedures and tender procedures outside the scope of public procurement law, e.g., the sale of public assets and World Bank procurement procedures.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented several leading global pharmaceutical companies in tender and judicial review procedures concerning pharmaceuticals with total contract values of more than EUR20 billion.
- Advised a European government on the implementation of Directive 2009/81/EC in the fields of defense and security.
- Advising a Europe-wide operating railway company on public procurement and state aid law issues in connection with Regulation 1370/07 on public passenger transport services.
- Most Highly Regarded Lawyer for Government Contracts, Who’s Who Legal 2019
- Leading Individual in Public Procurement Law, Juve Germany, since 2012/2013
- Leading Individual in Public Law: Public Procurement/PPP, Chambers Global 2018/2019
- Leading Individual in Healthcare Law, Chambers Global 2018/2019
- Lawyer of the Year in Healthcare Law, Handelsblatt / Best Lawyers 2016/2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Gesellschaft für Umweltrecht (Society for Environmental Law) - Member
- Free University of Berlin (Masters Program in European Business, Competition and Regulatory Law - Scientific Advisory Council Member
- Forum Vergabe (Public Procurement Forum) - Member
- Johann Wolfgang Goethe-University Frankfurt am Main - Lecturer for public procurement law
- Germany (2001)
- Fachanwalt für Vergaberecht (Attorney specializing in Public Procurement Law) (2016)
- Fachanwalt für Verwaltungsrecht (Attorney specializing in Public Administrative Law) (2005)
- Free University of Berlin (Dr. iur.)
- Free University of Berlin (Referendar Exam)
- Higher Regional Court, Berlin (Assessor Exam)
- Nottingham Trent University (LL.M.)
- Leuphana University Lueneburg (Post Graduate Studies Environmental Law)
Co-editor (with Wolfram Krohn and Andreas Neun), "Handbuch des Vergaberechts," 2nd edition, 2037 pages, CH. Beck, October 2017
Author, "Rechtliche Rahmenbedingungen und Inkompatibilitäten des sog. 'no spy'-Erlasses," Neue Zeitschrift für Verwaltungrecht (NVwZ), 13-20, 2015
Editor and author, "Handbuch des Vergaberechts," edited by Gabriel/Krohn/Neun, Verlag C.H.Beck, 2014
Presenter, "Bieterstrategien und Auftraggeberspielräume erkennen und nutzen (Best-Practice Workshop)," seminar by Immobilien- & Baurecht (IBR) and Vergabepraxis & -recht (VPR), Berlin, 16 June 2015
Presenter, "Vergabe- und kartellrechtliche Grenzen von Auftraggeber- und Bieterkooperationen," conference "Praxistag Vergaberecht" by Vergabepraxis und -recht (VPR), Cologne, 16 April 2015