Matt has extensive experience in project management, project structuring, procurement and delivery strategy, risk analysis, and drafting and negotiating all forms of development and construction related agreements, including public private partnerships, ITC contracts, alliances, EPC, ECI, managing contractor, construction management, O&M and traditional procurement models.
Matt has acted for all types of market participants, with particular expertise advising government on construction and services procurement.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising mRNA Victoria, a division of the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions in relation to arrangements with BioNTech to establish an mRNA research and development platform with clinical scale manufacturing and fill/finish capability in Victoria.
- Advised mRNA Victoria, a division of the Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions in relation to arrangements with the Commonwealth, Monash University and Moderna, Inc to establish an mRNA vaccine manufacturing facility and fill/finish capability, a regional headquarters and a research centre at Monash University in Victoria, and continuing to advise on the delivery of the project.
- Advising Ventia in relation to various tenders for road projects across Australia, including its successful bid for Transurban Queensland’s Incident Response and Maintenance Services across its major tunnel, bridge and open road assets in South-East Queensland.
- Advising a confidential client in relation to its bid for the development of the Geelong Convention and Exhibition Centre PPP, Hotel and Mixed-Use precinct development.
- Advised Rail Projects Victoria in relation to the Melbourne Airport Rail Project.
- Advised Major Road Projects Victoria and the Victorian Department of Treasury and Finance in relation to all aspects of the business case, procurement processes and evaluation of bids for the AUD 2.2 billion Suburban Roads Upgrade — Northern Roads Upgrade and Suburban Roads Upgrade – South Eastern Roads Upgrade PPP projects. These projects involved capital works, rectification works and maintenance of hundreds of lane kilometers of arterial roads over a 20-year period. A hybrid model PPP was developed for these projects based on the new Victorian standard.
- Advised VicRoads commercial roads division (now Major Road Projects Victoria) and the Department of Treasury and Finance in relation to all aspects of the procurement process, evaluation of bids, negotiation with the preferred respondent and contract close for the AUD 1.8 billion Western Roads Upgrade PPP project. This was the first project to adopt Partnerships Victoria’s new standard form project deed template, and it was also the first of its kind for an arterial roads network in Australia.
- Advised the South Australian Department of Treasury and Finance and the Department for Education in relation to all aspects of the AUD 469 million South Australian Schools PPP project. The project involves the design, construction, financing and maintenance of two birth – year 12 schools in Aldinga and Angle Vale. This was the first PPP in South Australia in 8 years, and the first to adopt the Partnerships Victoria standard form Project Deed template outside of Victoria.
- Advised the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) in relation to the multi-stage competitive tender process for the Western Victoria Transmission Network Project. The project involves the design, construction, operation and maintenance of contestable transmission augmentations in Western Victoria.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Member, Law Institute of Victoria
- High Court of Australia (2005)
- Supreme Court of Victoria~Australia (2005)
- National University of Singapore (Leadership Development Program) (2013)
- Monash University (LLM) (2008)
- Monash University (LLB, BSc) (2004)