Matt has extensive experience in project management, project structuring, procurement and delivery strategy, risk analysis, and drafting and negotiating all forms of development and construction related agreements, including public private partnerships, ITC contracts, alliances, EPC, ECI, managing contractor, construction management, O&M and traditional procurement models.
Matt has acted for all types of market participants, with particular expertise advising government on construction and services procurement.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Rail Projects Victoria in relation to the Melbourne Airport Rail Project.
- Advised Major Road Projects Victoria and the Victorian Department of Treasury and Finance in relation to all aspects of the business case, procurement processes and evaluation of bids for the AUD 2.2 billion Suburban Roads Upgrade — Northern Roads Upgrade and Suburban Roads Upgrade – South Eastern Roads Upgrade PPP projects. These projects involved capital works, rectification works and maintenance of hundreds of lane kilometres of arterial roads over a 20-year period. A hybrid model PPP was developed for these projects based on the new Victorian standard.
- Advised VicRoads commercial roads division (now Major Road Projects Victoria) and the Department of Treasury and Finance in relation to all aspects of the procurement process, evaluation of bids, negotiation with the preferred respondent and contract close for the AUD 1.8 billion Western Roads Upgrade PPP project. This was the first project to adopt Partnerships Victoria’s new standard form project deed template, and it was also the first of its kind for an arterial roads network in Australia.
- Advised the South Australian Department of Treasury and Finance and the Department for Education in relation to all aspects of the AUD 469 million South Australian Schools PPP project. The project involves the design, construction, financing and maintenance of two birth – year 12 schools in Aldinga and Angle Vale. This was the first PPP in South Australia in 8 years, and the first to adopt the Partnerships Victoria standard form Project Deed template outside of Victoria.
- Advised the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) in relation to the multi-stage competitive tender process for the Western Victoria Transmission Network Project. The project involves the design, construction, operation and maintenance of contestable transmission augmentations in Western Victoria.
- Advised the Victorian Department of Treasury and Finance in relation to the development of a new standard form collaborative contracting models for high value high risk construction and infrastructure projects.
- Advised the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services in relation to the construction aspects of the Department’s stalled development investment program to increase the supply of public housing and support the property sector in the post-COVID environment.
- Acted for the Victorian Department of Health and Human Services in relation to the redevelopment of a former public housing site in Ashburton (62 public housing dwellings and 188 private dwellings) including drafting the suite of transaction documents for the project and leading negotiations with Development Victoria.
- Acted for Dexus in relation to the project documentation for the AUD 300 million redevelopment of 180 Flinders Street, Melbourne with John Holland as both contractor and anchor tenant, and advised in relation to ongoing contract administration.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Member, Law Institute of Victoria
- High Court of Australia (2005)
- Supreme Court of Victoria~Australia (2005)
- National University of Singapore (Leadership Development Program) (2013)
- Monash University (LLM) (2008)
- Monash University (LLB, BSc) (2004)