Manlio Bassino has extensive experience in intellectual property and corporate law matters, and mergers and acquisitions. He has actively participated in different administrative procedures concerning action and defense of industrial property elements and copyrights, both at the administrative and judicial levels as well as brands advice and planning, and legal advice on the creation of brands (naming legal). In opinion of Chambers & Partners, "is highlighted as a "real hotshot" by sources. He has been heavily involved in a number of complex matters under the department's care."
Manlio served as professor of business law at Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas for 10 years and was professor of Legal Aspects of Internet and E – Commerce at the Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru School of Engineering.
Representative Legal Matters
- Led the team that advised Gloria S.A., a Peruvian dairy company, in attaining the reversal of the decision of the administrative authority (Intellectual Property Tribunal of appeals of Indecopi), and linkage among goods in Class 30 with some goods in Class 32.
- Recognition of BRAHMA as a well-known brand in the member countries of the Andean Community: The Intellectual Property Court of appeals of Indecopi – Peru – recognized the well–known condition of the BRAHMA brand, owned by AmBev SA.
- Advised a buyer on its acquisition of a block of shares of a Peruvian company and investment in a real estate/commercial project worth USD 10 billion.
- Assisted in the leasing agreement between Owen Illinois Peru S.A and Banco de Credito del Peru for an amount of USD 30 million for the purchase of a glass bottle manufacturing plant.
- Assisted an American company in a trademark litigation contesting CATEYE's trademark application (Class 9, 11 and 12) and obtained a successful outcome in the Trademarks Office, which acknowledged the well-known status of the client's trademarks and denied CATEYE's trademark application.
- Defended luxury brands Carolina Herrera, Nina Ricci, Paco Rabanne and Jean Paul Gaultier in a trademark litigation to prevent the brands' misuse by Equivalenza 3, Supervalores and Inversiones Mayana.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ASIPI Countries - Member, Manual Committee
- APPI (Peruvian Association of Intellectual Property) - Member
- Inter-American Association of Industrial Property - Member, Anti-counterfeiting Committee
- Intellectual Property Committee AmCham Peru - Vice Chairman
- Lima Bar Association - Member
- Peru (1993)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Master's Degree Corporate Law) (2003)
- University of Lima (Law Degree) (1993)