Robert Wright is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity practice groups.
Robert advises financial sponsors on leveraged M&A transactions, co-investments, exits, restructurings and portfolio company matters.
Regularly leading on private equity transactions across the APAC region, Robert is highly regarded by IFLR and described in Legal 500 as "very strong" and "commercial".
His work spans a variety of sectors, with a focus on financial services, technology, media and telecommunications, healthcare, consumer retail and real estate / infrastructure.
Robert sits on the Baker McKenzie M&A steering committee and global innovation committee. He is also active in the Fintech community and is an adviser on the Accenture Fintech Innovation Lab for Asia Pacific.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised EQT on its divestment of ELEVATE, a leading provider of ESG and supply chain services to LRQA.
Advised One Equity Partners on its acquisition of ePak, a leading full service provider of semiconductor transfer and handling products, and subsequent disposal.
Advised Baring Private Equity on the acquisition of a confidential real estate asset investment.
Advised Platinum Equity on the carve out and sale of Artesyn.
Advised GE Capital on the AUD 8.2 billion sale of its Australian consumer finance business to a consortium led by KKR.
Advised Corsair Capital on the refinancing of DP World Australia.
Advised a range of family offices and financial sponsors on investments in relation to venture / growth capital and pre IPO investments across the APAC region.
Advised Aztiq on its USD 475 million acquisition of a 100% stake in Alvogen Emerging Markets Holdings Limited, via a consortium formed with co-investor Innobic from existing shareholders.
Advised MetLife Inc. on the sale of MetLife’s Hong Kong life insurance business to FWD Management Holdings Limited.
Advised Carlsberg on its acquisition and joint venture with its Cambodian partner, Cambrew.
Advised the Life-Space owners on the AUD 700 million sale of Life-Space to By-Health Group.
Advised Sun Life on the sale of its interest in Crescent Vietnam and Global Online Financial Solutions.
Advised Accenture on its acquisition of T.A. Cook Consultants Inc.
Advised Royal Bank of Scotland on the sale of its retail and commercial banking business to ADCB.
Advised National Australia Bank on the sale of its interest in a Singaporean REIT.
* Including matters handled prior to joining Baker McKenzie.
- Leading Lawyer (Private Equity, Hong Kong) – IFLR1000 (2022)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Institute of Company Directors - Affiliate Member
- Fintech Association of Hong Kong - Member
- Insurance Chapter of The American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong - Committee Member
- The Australian Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong - Member
- Hong Kong (2021)
- High Court of Australia (2007)
- Queensland Supreme Court~Australia (2005)
- FINSIA (Kaplan) (Diploma of Applied Finance)(Corporate Finance) (2007)
- Queensland University of Technology (LL.B.) (2002)
- Queensland University of Technology (B.Bus (Banking and Finance)) (2002)