Robert has been a key adviser to financial sponsors and multinational corporates on a number of high-profile cross-border corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, capital markets, corporate restructurings and strategic investments for listed and unlisted companies, in Hong Kong, Australia and the broader Asia Pacific region. His work spans a variety of sectors, including financial services, technology, media and telecommunications, healthcare, consumer retail, as well as infrastructure.
Robert’s focus extends to venture capital, having advised both sponsors and founders on a range of early-stage through late-stage transactions across Asia Pacific.
Robert sits on the Baker McKenzie Hong Kong innovation committee. He is also active in the fintech community and is an adviser on the Accenture Fintech Innovation Lab for Asia Pacific.
Representative Legal Matters
Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Advised One Equity Partners on its acquisition of ePak, a leading full-service provider or semiconductor transfer and handling products, and subsequent disposal to Wise Road Capital.
- Advised Gaw Capital Partners in connection with its investment in Lalamove, a Hong Kong-based logistics business; investment in Didi Chuxing, a leading mobile transportation platform; and investment in Point Avenue, a Southeast-Asian-based private education technology group.
- Advised Fidelity in connection with its investment in Pony AI, a developer for AI and autonomous driving technology; investment in Full Truck, a digital freight hailing business; investment in Chime Biologics, a healthtech business; investment in Venturous, a technology conglomerate that focuses on smart cities; investment in SenseTime, a leading AI business; investment in Beisen Holdings, a talent management business; and investment in Tuhu Car Inc., an automobile product delivery and maintenance business.
- Advised Baring Private Equity on the acquisition of Global City Properties Limited.
- Advised EQT on its investment in Elevate Global.
- Advised 500 Startups on its various venture capital investments, including DayDayCook, Eko Group, GoodVentures, Talkpush, Moveha, Xing Technology, freeD, Beervana, Event Xtra, Exchange Corporation, Paidy, Shopline, Prenetics, My Chinese Roots and Panda Credit.
- Advised Platinum Equity on the carve-out and disposal of Artesyn.
- Advised GE Capital on the sale of its AUD 8.2 billion Australian consumer finance business to a consortium led by KKR.
- Advised Tiger Global Management on its disposal of Maktoob.com Inc. to Yahoo!; and investment in souq.com.
- Advised MetLife Inc. on the sale of MetLife’s Hong Kong life insurance business to FWD Management Holdings Limited.
- Advised Carlsberg on its acquisition and USD 1 billion joint venture with its Cambodian partner, Cambrew.
- Advised the Life-Space owners on the AUD 700 million sale of Life-Space to By-Health Group.
- Advised Sun Life on the sale of its interest in Crescent Vietnam and Global Online Financial Solutions.
- Advised Nokia on its implementation of its global Alcatel merger.
- Advised Sinopec Corporation on the acquisition of USD 8 billion upstream oil and gas assets.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Australian Institute of Company Directors - Affiliate Member
- Fintech Association of Hong Kong - Member
- Insurance Chapter of The American Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong - Committee Member
- The Australian Chamber of Commerce Hong Kong - Member
- High Court of Australia (2007)
- Queensland Supreme Court~Australia (2005)
- FINSIA (Kaplan) (Diploma of Applied Finance)(Corporate Finance) (2007)
- Queensland University of Technology (LL.B.) (2002)
- Queensland University of Technology (B.Bus (Banking and Finance)) (2002)