Alain Charles Veloso is a partner in Quisumbing Torres’ Corporate & Commercial Practice Group and a member of the Competition Focus Group. He has 10 years of legal practice focusing on mergers and acquisitions, antitrust and competition, capital markets, and trade and commerce. He also handles matters in the healthcare, energy, mining and infrastructure, and real estate sectors.
Charles is a lecturer for the Mandatory Continuing Legal Education program on Corporate Governance and on Competition Law. He has conducted lectures at the University of the Philippines Law Center and the Securities and Exchange Commission. He also co-authored the Philippine chapter of Baker McKenzie’s Asia Pacific Competition Law Guide and the Global Merger Analysis Platform. He also served as resource speaker on Competition Law in various local and regional seminars. He is cited as a Next Generation Lawyer for Corporate and M&A by Legal 500 2017.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assist a German multinational financial services company in the acquisition of a controlling interest from a major Philippine commercial bank's life insurance business in the Philippines, including assisting in drafting agreements, negotiating transaction documents of the seller, implementing the transaction in the Philippines, and reviewing the transaction in light of the newly-passed Philippine Competition Act.
- Assist an American financial self service, security and services corporation in the acquisition of substantially all the assets of a Philippine corporation that provide retail and retail banking hardware, software and services in connection with the global acquisition of the latter by client.
- Advise on and assist an international freight forwarding / logistics company in preparing its merger notification under the circular on transitory rules and guidelines for mergers and acquisitions worth over PHP 1 billion with the Philippine Competition Commission, in relation to the Philippine aspect of client’s acquisition of a Netherlands-based mail services and logistics company.
- Advise an American outsourced customer management provider with regards to its merger clearance requirements under the Philippine Competition Act.
- Advise a global online technology platform company on the following matters: (i) legal issues in connection with its activities and operations in the Philippines, (ii) structure of its entity in the Philippines, (iii) legal requirements in connection with client's activities and operations in the Philippines, and (iv) review of the terms and conditions of the contractual arrangements for the operations in the Philippines.
- Advise the country's oldest conglomerate on its proposed public offering and divestment of shares in a listed company on the following matters: (i) legal rules, processes and documentary requirements for a mandatory tender offer and (ii) delisting and deregistration of shares, prepare non-disclosure agreements and share purchase agreements in relation to the divestment.
- Advise client on its agreement with the Philippine branch of a US-based provider of information, services and technology to the healthcare industry (provider) to participate in the provider’s reports, which are distributed to pharmaceutical companies in the Philippines.
- Advise a global provider of in vitro diagnostics on its proposed operations in the Philippines, including the distribution of medical devices, following acquisition by a multinational private equity from a multinational medical devices, pharmaceutical and consumer packaged goods manufacturer.
- Next Generation Lawyer in Corporate and M&A, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Member
- International Bar Association
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Philippines (2007)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (EU Competition Law) (2017)
- University of the Philippines (LL.B. cum laude and class valedictorian) (2006)
- University of the Philippines (B.S. Accountancy cum laude and class salutatorian) (2001)