Alain Charles Veloso is a partner of Quisumbing Torres' Corporate & Commercial Practice Group. He heads the firm's Capital Markets Practice Group and is a member of the Competition Focus Group. He has 11 years of legal practice, advising several investment banks, funds, and multinational corporations with regard to their transactions in the Philippines, including private and public M&A transactions, debt, and equity capital markets transactions, and structuring and establishment of their Philippine presence, as applicable.
Charles actively participates in the firm's Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives. He heads the firm's Diversity & Inclusion and B-Green committees in Manila. He was also recently elected as Director of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) Makati Chapter. He has been cited as a Next Generation Lawyer for Corporate and M&A by Legal 500 for 2017 and 2018. He was also a 2018 Bench and Bar Awardee of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines' Leyte Chapter for his legal achievements.
Charles studied EU Competition Law at the London School of Economics and Political Science in 2017 (highest grade). He is also a Certified Public Accountant.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advise a diversified, multinational supplier of engineered materials, natural resources and technology-based services. and a global producer of hydrocolloid products in connection with the following matters that it proposes to undertake, among others: (i) sale of the carrageenan (CMC) business (ii) structuring and preliminary legal due diligence, (iii) negotiation and drafting of a term sheet or memorandum of understanding , (iv) legal advice on the notification to or approval of the Philippine Competition Commission, and (v) drafting of contracts, agreements and documentation for divestment documents.
- Assist a global general trading company in connection with its proposed minority equity investment and joint venture in a Philippine agribusiness corporation.
- Assist a German multinational financial services company in the acquisition of a controlling interest from a major Philippine commercial bank's life insurance business in the Philippines, including assisting in drafting agreements, negotiating transaction documents of the seller, implementing the transaction in the Philippines, and reviewing the transaction in light of the newly-passed Philippine Competition Act.
- Advise a global online technology platform company on the following matters: (I) legal issues in connection with its activities and operations in the Philippines, (ii) structure of its entity in the Philippines, (iii) legal requirements in connection with client's activities and operations in the Philippines, and (iv) review of the terms and conditions of the contractual arrangements for the operations in the Philippines.
- Assist an American pharmaceuticals and health care products company in the (a) sale to a top real estate property developer of (i) the client’s equity in a Philippine company that owns the land on which the client’s facility was situated , (ii) the client’s building and related improvements and accessories, and (b) termination of the lease between the client and the company that owns the land.
- Advise a Taiwan-listed company on issues relating to the re-development of the assets of a Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE)-listed corporation (i) the lawfulness of the client’s holding structure in the Philippine company (ii) client’s potential risk exposure to the current holding structure and future holding structure (after converting the Restructure Debts to equity), (iii) legality of the proposed Preferred Shares, (iv) whether client can validly exercise the rights attached to the Preferred Shares and lawfully retain control of a property in Laguna, Philippines (v) the likelihood of the Philippine corporation resuming and retaining trading status.
- Advise one of the world’s biggest pension funds that controls assets worth USD 300 billion in connection with its subscription of shares in the country's oldest conglomerate. Completed the transaction which involved the subscription of newly issued shares and the listing of the shares in the Philippine Stock Exchange.
- Assist an international development finance institution in a disaster risk financing project in the Philippines that involves the creation of a parametric insurance pool for cities, which is the first of its kind in the world.
- Advise and assist an Asian oil and gas company in the competition-law aspects of the sale (by public auction) of its LPG business and related landholding company in the Philippines, including advising on gun-jumping, information exchange, and assistance in obtaining merger clearance for the transaction.
- Assist a major Philippine conglomerate in connection with its internal competition law compliance initiatives, including audit and risk assessment, competition compliance training, and preparation of a competition law compliance manual and guidelines that covers all aspects of the client's operations, and all 3 pillars of competition law: agreements, dominance, and M&As.
- Next Generation Lawyer in Corporate and M&A, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017-2018
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Member
- International Bar Association
- Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Philippines (2007)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (EU Competition Law) (2017)
- University of the Philippines (LL.B. cum laude and class valedictorian) (2006)
- University of the Philippines (B.S. Accountancy cum laude and class salutatorian) (2001)