Koen Vanhaerents is a partner in corporate finance in the Brussels office. Koen joined Baker McKenzie in 1987. He advises Belgian and foreign clients on a wide range of corporate finance operations (both public and private) and complex corporate law issues. He is closely involved in numerous operations and take-overs on the Belgian capital markets, private equity transactions and mergers and acquisitions.
From October 2009 to October 2014, Koen was a member of the Executive Committee of Baker McKenzie and Chairman of the EMEA Region of the Firm. From October 2014 to July 2020, he was Head of Global Capital Markets. “Koen Vanhaerents is regarded by commentators as “one of the leading M&A lawyers in Belgium” (Chambers), “In negotiations, he is excellent when assessing complex situations and helping to set the strategy”, “Looking for high-level, sensitive board-level advice, Koen is on my shortlist.”
Representative Legal Matters
Notable transactions during the last few years include
Several of the capital markets transactions by Nyrstar since its IPO, the contemplated IPO for EDF Luminus, the IPO of Telenet, Belgacom and Metris, several underwriter counsel mandates for Degroof Petercam, KBC Securities and ING.
(Public) M&A transactions involving Resilux, TVH, Telenet, BMT Group, KBC, FPIM/SFPI, Gimv, KeBek, and the Flemish Government on several transactions (Ethias recapitalisation, sale of Indaver's stake to Katoen Natie).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Brussels Bar (Dutch language section) - Member
- Brussels~Belgium (1987)
- Catholic University of Leuven (Law Degree magna cum laude)
- Catholic University of Leuven (Bachelor's Degree Philosophy)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (LL.M.)
Firm Committee Memberships
- Chairman, Baker McKenzie Policy Committee (2005-2008)
- Managing Partner, Baker McKenzie Brussels office (2000-2009)
- Member, Baker McKenzie Executive Committee (2009-2014)
- Chairman, EMEA Region (2009-2014)
- Chair, Global Capital Markets (October 2014 - July 2020)