Mike van Rensburg is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Corporate and M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Mike routinely represents and advises domestic and multinational clients across a range of industry sectors, on mergers and acquisitions (public and private), IPOs and private placements, corporate finance and structuring, commercial property transactions, global re-organisations/restructurings, post-acquisition integrations and Black Economic Empowerment transactions.
Mike has specific experience and expertise in cross-border transactional work into Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Xstrata South Africa (Pty) Ltd in relation to its acquisition of Eland Platinum Holdings Limited and subsequent restructuring of the business and assets of Eland Platinum (Pty) Ltd into an unincorporated joint venture with Xstrata.
- Advised ArcelorMittal South Africa Limited in relation to its 26% Black Economic Empowerment transaction with the Ayigobi BEE Consortium (aborted).
- Advised ArcelorMittal South Africa on its ZAR 800 m acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of Imperial Crown Trading 289 Limited.
- Advised Glencore Operations South Africa (formerly Xstrata South Africa) on its sale to JSE listed Wescoal Holdings Limited, of certain coal mining assets and associated land.
- Acted for Viettel Global Investments JSC in relation to its acquisition from Bitmap Pte. Ltd. of a 65% interest in Epocha and Golden Ocean (Tanzania) Limited, a mobile operator in Tanzania.
- Acted as South African counsel to Diageo plc in its acquisition from Pestello Investments Inc, of United National Breweries, a South African sorghum beer manufacturer and distributor.
- Advised Diageo plc on its acquisition of 100% of the quotas in Lusomoc Limitada in Mozambique.
- Represented Equinix Inc. in its proposed acquisition of Teraco Data Environments.
- Advised Daily Mail Group Events International on all aspects of its acquisition of 100% of the shares in Exhibition Management Services (Pty) Ltd.
- Advised China Investment Corporation on the c ZAR 8 billion merger between Shanduka Group (Pty) Ltd and Pembani Group (Pty) Ltd.
- Recognized lawyer in Mergers & Acquisitions, Best Lawyers in South Africa 2018
- Rising Star in Mergers & Acquisitions, IFLR1000
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (1998)
- University of Pretoria (LL.B.) (1995)
- University of Pretoria (BL.C.) (1993)