Mike van Rensburg is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Corporate and M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Mike routinely represents and advises domestic and multinational clients across a range of industry sectors on public and private mergers and acquisitions, IPOs and private placements, corporate finance and structuring, commercial property transactions, global reorganizations and Black Economic Empowerment transactions. He also has particular experience in cross-border transactional work in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Xstrata South Africa in relation to its acquisition of Eland Platinum Holdings and subsequent restructuring of the business and assets of Eland Platinum into an unincorporated joint venture with Xstrata.
- Acted for Viettel Global Investments JSC in relation to its acquisition from Bitmap Pte. Ltd. of a 65% interest in Epocha and Golden Ocean (Tanzania), a mobile operator in Tanzania.
- Advised Diageo on its acquisition of 100% of the quotas in Lusomoc Limitada in Mozambique.
- Advised China Investment Corporation on the ZAR 8 billion merger between Shanduka Group and Pembani Group.
- Advised Caterpillar on all aspects of its parts warehouse and distribution facility development project in South Africa.
- Advised Nokia Solutions and Networks South Africa on all aspects of its 30.1% BEE transaction with Sekunjalo Investment Holdings.
- Advised Glencore Operations South Africa (formerly Xstrata South Africa) on its sale to JSE listed Wescoal Holdings
,of certain coal mining assets and associated land and buildings.
- Represented UBS in its commercial property lease transaction with the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town.
- Advised Diageo on legacy soil and water contamination issues in context of its acquisition of United National Breweries S.A.
- Advised ArcelorMittal South Africa on its ZAR 800 million acquisition of 100% of the issued share capital of Imperial Crown Trading 289.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (1998)
- University of Pretoria (LL.B.) (1995)
- University of Pretoria (BL.C.) (1993)