Mike routinely represents and advises domestic and multinational clients across a range of industry sectors, on mergers and acquisitions (public and private), IPOs and private placements, corporate finance and structuring, commercial property transactions, global re-organisations/restructurings, post-acquisition integrations and Black Economic Empowerment transactions.
He has specific experience and expertise in cross-border transactional work into Africa.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Glencore Operations South Africa on its sale to JSE-listed Wescoal Holdings Limited, of certain coal mining assets and associated land.
- Acted for Viettel Global Investments JSC in relation to its acquisition from Bitmap Pte. Ltd. of a 65% interest in Epocha and Golden Ocean (Tanzania) Limited, a mobile operator in Tanzania.
- Acted as South African counsel to Diageo plc in its acquisition from Pestello Investments Inc, of United National Breweries, a South African sorghum beer manufacturer and distributor.
- Represented Equinix Inc. in its proposed acquisition of Teraco Data Environments.
- Advised Daily Mail Group Events International on all aspects of its acquisition of 100% of the shares in Exhibition Management Services (Pty) Ltd.
- Advised China Investment Corporation on the ZAR 8 billion merger between Shanduka Group (Pty) Ltd and Pembani Group (Pty) Ltd.
- Advised Nokia Solutions and Networks South Africa on all aspects of its 30.1% Black Economic Empowerment transaction with Sekunjalo Investment Holdings.
- Represented Tadawul-listed Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Ma'aden) in its proposed acquisition of 85% of the shares in Meridian Consolidated Investments Limited, a Mauritius headquartered fertilizer manufacturer, retailer and distributor with operations in Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Acted for CBRE in the merger between CBRE Limited and Excellerate Property Services of their respective businesses in South Africa, MENA and 19 Sub-Saharan African Countries, into two commercial real estate services joint ventures covering South Africa, MENA and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Represented US-headquartered The Livekindly Company, Inc., a global plant-based food company, in its c. ZAR 1 billion acquisition of (i) Fry Group Foods (the largest plant based food manufacturer and distributor in SA) and (ii) Fry's International Holdings with operating subsidiaries in Australia, UK and Germany.
- Included in Best Lawyers for South Africa 2018 - 2020 for Mergers and Acquisitions
- Ranked in IFLR1000 (Mergers & Acquisitions) 2018, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Northern Provinces - Member
- South Africa (1998)
- University of Pretoria (LL.B.) (1995)
- University of Pretoria (BL.C.) (1993)