Mike van Rensburg is a partner in and former head of Baker McKenzie's Corporate M&A Practice Group in Johannesburg.
Mike represents and advises domestic and multinational clients across industry sectors, on public and private mergers and acquisitions, IPOs and private placements, corporate finance and structuring, commercial property transactions, global reorganizations and restructurings, and Black Economic Empowerment transactions.
He has specific experience in cross-border transactional work into sub-Saharan Africa.
Mike is regularly credited for his M&A expertise in legal directories such as IFLR1000 and Best Lawyers.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Caterpillar Inc in its acquisition of land for development of a new warehouse and distribution facility and the associated turnkey development project.
- Advised CBRE Ltd in the merger between CBRE Limited and Excellerate Property Services of their respective businesses in South Africa, MENA and 19 sub-Saharan African countries into two commercial real estate services joint ventures.
- Advised China Investment Corporation on its ZAR 400 million divestment from Shanduka Gold.
- Advised China Investment Corporation on the ZAR 8 billion merger between Shanduka Group (Pty) Ltd and Phembani Group (Pty) Ltd.
- Advised Diageo plc on its acquisition of 100% of the quotas in Lusomoc Limitada in Mozambique.
- Advised Diageo plc in its acquisition from Pestello Investments Inc of United National Breweries, a South African sorghum beer manufacturer and distributor.
- Advised Ma'aden in its acquisition of 85% of the shares in Meridian Consolidated Investments Limited, a Mauritius-headquartered fertilizer manufacturer and distributor with operations in Malawi, Mozambique, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Advised global payments giant Mastercard in its USD 100 million investment in the mobile money business arm of Airtel Africa.
- Advised digital infrastructure company Equinix (NASDAQ) on its USD 160 million data centre turnkey development and long-term lease transaction in Johannesburg.
- Advised a buyer consortium comprising Suez International (51%), Royal Bafokeng Holdings (24.5%) and African Infrastructure Investment Managers (24.5%), on its acquisition from Rockwood Private Equity and through BidCo (Umzwilili Environmental Solutions), of all the shares in EnviroServ Holdings including its operating subsidiaries in SA, Uganda and Mozambique.
- Listed in IFLR1000 in Mergers & Acquisitions 2018, 2020
- Included in Best Lawyers in South Africa 2018-2022 for Mergers and Acquisitions
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa - Member
- South Africa (1998)
- University of Pretoria (LL.B.) (1995)
- University of Pretoria (BL.C.) (1993)