Olivia Tyrrell is a Corporate / M&A partner in Baker McKenzie's Chicago office. Olivia has also practiced in the Firm's Sydney and Barcelona offices. She is a member of Baker McKenzie's Global Transactional Healthcare group. Olivia was named a 2020 “Top Women in Dealmaking” by The Deal, received the “Chicago 40 Under 40” award from The National Law Journal and was named among the "most influential women lawyers in Chicago in 2017" by Crain's Chicago Business.
Olivia guides clients through transformational corporate transactions, particularly on cross-border mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, strategic alliances and corporate reorganizations, often involving complex, multijurisdictional carve-out transactions. She has acted as lead counsel for several multinational pharmaceutical and healthcare companies in high-profile transactions, including several large transactions in India.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Abbott Laboratories with respect to a wide range of transactions, including:
- Disposition of Alere, Inc.'s Triage® MeterPro cardiovascular (CV) and toxicology business and B-type Naturietic Peptide (BNP) assay business run on Beckman Coulter analyzers;
- Disposition of Alere, Inc.'s epoc® Blood Analysis System;
- Disposition of the St. Jude Medical Angio-Seal and FemoSeal vascular closure devices business to Terumo Corporation;
- Disposition to Mylan of a portfolio of branded specialty and generic drugs in developed markets outside the United States;
- Spin-off of Abbott Laboratories’ research-based pharmaceutical business to Abbvie;
- Acquisition of Piramal Healthcare Limited’s Healthcare Solutions business;
- Acquisition of Solvay’s pharmaceutical, vaccine and diagnostics businesses.
- Advised Baxter International on the spin-off of its biopharmaceutical business to Baxalta.
- Advised Walgreens in its specialty pharmacy and mail service pharmacy joint venture with Prime Therapeutics.
- Advised Merck & Co. in multiple transactions, including the acquisition of Cubist Pharmaceuticals and the divestiture of its consumer care business to Bayer AG.
- Advised CommScope, Inc. in multiple transactions, including its acquisition of TE Connectivity's telecom, enterprise and wireless businesses.
- Advised Johnson Controls on the spin-off of its automotive seating business to Adient.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Queensland - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Council on Foreign Relations - Member
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- Illinois~United States (2004)
- Queensland~Australia (2001)
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law (J.D.) (2003)
- Queensland University of Technology (LL.B. summa cum laude) (2001)
- Queensland Institute of Technology (Bachelor of Business Accounting summa cum laude, University Medalist) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.