Peerapan Tungsuwan is a corporate and M&A partner in Bangkok office with specialties in highly regulated industries, including the healthcare industry. She is currently Chair of the AEC Healthcare Harmonization Sub-committee of Baker McKenzie's Asia Pacific Healthcare Industry Group, of which she was head from 2007-2013. Within the Bangkok office, she heads the Healthcare Industry and Natural Resources Groups and co-leads the Mergers & Acquisitions practice group and Japan Advisory Group.
Ms. Tungsuwan is exceptionally fluent in legal matters relating to healthcare, consumer protection and natural resources. Her client list includes a Japanese-based Fortune 500 company, multinational manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and oil and gas companies. Ms. Tungsuwan assists clients on complex mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate structures and restructuring, as well as in negotiating commercial contracts and complying with Thai regulatory requirements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Pfizer on its sale of Pfizer Nutrition to a Switzerland-based multinational conglomerate. The sale is part of the USD 11.85 billion infant nutrition deal which Pfizer initiated through a bidding process.
- Advised Pfizer on the animal health business transfer to Pfizer Animal Health and assisted with the establishment of Pfizer Animal Health.
- Advised Pfizer as part of the global entity integration in relation to the business transfer from Wyeth and Fort Dodge Thailand to Pfizer.
- Represented Palang Sophon in various transactions with respect to petroleum concessions, as well as acting for Palang Sophon International in its acquisition of shares in Thaipo and B8/32 Partners from PTTEP and MOECO, and acting for Palang Sophon Offshore in its sale of petroleum interest in Thailand to Kris Energy.
- Represented multi-national companies in the mining and oil & gas industries as well as companies providing services to these industries in various significant legal aspects including (i) regulatory, concessions, permits and licensing, corporate restructuring, post acquisition integration, (ii) handling the application for foreign business licenses for their relevant business activities, and (iii) working closely with tax lawyers in formulating suitable tax planning.
- Represented a major-listed, Japanese-based manufacturer of construction machinery and forklift trucks in the establishment of a joint venture for the sale and rental of forklift trucks in Thailand.
- Assisted Fuji Electric Co. Ltd., a global power electronics technology company headquartered in Tokyo and listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, in a deal worth over USD 50 million for the acquisition of a majority share from the founders of Tusco Trafo group, one of the most influential transformer manufacturers in Thailand.
- Advising PReMA (Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers Association) on their code of conduct revisions and advising them on relevant transparency issues.
- Advising multinational corporations and assisting them in in-house seminars with respect to compliance and anti-bribery legislation resulting from requirements under U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Leading Individual in Corporate M&A, The Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2009-2016
- Notable Practitioner in Corporate and M&A and Life Sciences, Chambers Asia-Pacific, 2014-15
- External Counsel of the Year, ASIAN- MENA Counsel, In-House Community, 2012
- Leading Individual in Life Sciences: Regulatory, PLC Which Lawyer?, 2010-2011
- Recommended Lawyer in Life Sciences Super Leagues: Regulatory, PLC Which Lawyer?, 2011
- Recommended Lawyer in Life Sciences: Regulatory, PLC Which Lawyer?, 2005-2009
- Leader of the Year Award, Baker McKenzie, 2009
- Fluency Award in Culture of Friendship, Baker McKenzie, 2011 and 2012
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Thailand (1984)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (LL.M. Merit) (1993)
- Chulalongkorn University (LL.B.) (1983)
- Prince Royal's College (Certificate) (1979)
Baker & McKenzie Ltd. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.