Jiro Toyokawa has more than 15 years of experience in working as a lawyer. He focuses on M&A (especially cross-border M&A), including surrounding sub-areas such as employment, merger control and others. He also has experience advising on a variety of commercial transactions concerning license agreements, venture capital funds, stock options, securitizations, and litigation stemming from corporate reorganizations. He has been listed as a leading individual in Japan for Corporate/M&A in Chambers Asia Pacific (2010-2016). Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he worked as a partner at Linklaters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acted for Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company on its acquisition of 100 percent share in StanCorp Financial Group, Inc. a U.S. listed insurance company.
- Acted for The Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company, Limited on its acquisition of 100 percent share in Protective Life Corporation, a U.S. listed insurance company. (Best FIG Deal by FinanceAsia Japan 2014/15)
- Acted for a US private equity firm on its investment in the convertible preferred shares in a Japanese theme park.
- Acted for an Asian private equity fund on its acquisition of a minority interest in a Japanese insurance business.
- Acted for Getronics N.V. on the sale of 70 percent of its share capital in Getronics Japan, Ltd. to NTT Data Corporation, accompanied by the formation of a joint venture.
- Acted for Man Financial Japan Ltd on the acquisition of the entire issued share capital of FXA Securities Ltd., a regulated Japanese online foreign exchange broker.
- Acted for a European financial instruments broker on its 90 percent share acquisition in a Japanese FX broker.
- Acted for a Japanese food manufacturer on its third party allotment to a Japanese trading house, accompanied by a business alliance.
- Acted for TDK on its public takeover of Epcos AG in Germany.
- Acted for Hitachi Koki Co., Ltd. on its acquisition of the power tool specialist Germany-based Metabo AG from an European equity fund.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-Ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2005)
- Japan (1999)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.) (2004)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (1999)
- University of Tokyo (LL.B.) (1997)