Junya Suzuki is a member of the Firm's Corporate/M&A Practice Group. Junya is currently based in the London office.
Junya focuses his practice on multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions, corporate restructuring, insolvency, corporate reorganizations and debt collection. Junya is currently based in the London office and he has been advising Japanese companies and European companies in connection with a wide array of corporate, securities and regulatory matters, in order to contribute to facilitation of cross-investment between Japan and EMEA countries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised CTBC Bank Co., Ltd. in the acquisition of The Tokyo Star Bank, Limited.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Finance and Leasing Company, Limited in relation to its acquisition General Electric Group's Leasing Business in Japan.
- Advised Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. (also known as Foxconn) and other investors in relation to their investments in Sharp Corporation (which was awarded "M&A Deal of the Year" at International Financial Law Review (IFLR) Asia Awards 2017 and Asian-MENA Counsel - In-House Community Deals of the Year 2016).
- Advised Yanmar Holdings Co., Ltd. in relation to its acquisition of the European compact construction equipment business from Terex Corporation.
- Advised a global electronic components company in Japan in relation to its acquisition of the battery business of a global technology company in Japan.
- Advised a leading Japanese company providing industrial, medical, and electronic device systems on its acquisition of the atomic spectroscopy product business division of a UK listed company.
Restructuring & Insolvency
- Represented a leading technology company listed on NYSE in the Japanese corporate reorganization proceeding of a major Japanese semi-conductor manufacturer.
- Represented a European financial institution in the Japanese civil rehabilitation proceeding of a major Japanese shipping company.
- Acting for Westinghouse group as Japanese legal counsel in connection with the company's global insolvency and restructuring.
- Representing Takata Corporation with respect to its civil rehabilitation proceeding and advising Takata group in relation to US Chapter 11 and 15 proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) - Member
- INSOL International - Member
- Japanese Federation of Insolvency Professionals (JFIP) - Member
- New York (inactive)~United States (2015)
- Japan (2009)
- University of Virginia School of Law (LLM) (2015)
- University of Tokyo Graduate School for Law and Politics (JD) (2008)
- University of Tokyo (LLB) (2006)
Co-author, “An Overview of the Spanish Insolvency Law,” The Turnaround & Credit Management, KINZAI, July 2018
Co-author, “An Overview and Analysis of the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Recommendations on the Reform of Chapter 11 (1)(2)(3),” Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law, The Japan Institute of International Business Law, December 2015, January 2016, February 2016
Co-author, "Practices to Prove an Inability to Pay Debts in Preference Avoidance Actions - an Analysis of the Tokyo District Court's Decision on Feburuary 14, 2013," The Turnaround & Credit Management, KINZAI, July 2014
Presenter, “Overview of Competition Law in Africa: South Africa, COMESA, Morroco, Kenya, Nigeria and Mozambique,” hosted by Fair Trade Institute, January 2016
Presenter, “Trade Secret Management and Best Ways to Deal with Trade Secret Leakage Accidents,” hosted by Association of Certified Fraud Examiners Japan, July 2011