Junya Suzuki is a member of the Firm's Corporate/M&A Practice Group. Junya is currently based in the London office.
Junya focuses his practice on multi-jurisdictional M&A transactions, corporate restructuring, insolvency, corporate reorganizations and debt collection. Junya is currently based in the London office and he has been advising Japanese companies and European companies in connection with a wide array of corporate, securities and regulatory matters, in order to contribute to facilitation of cross-investment between Japan and EMEA countries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised CTBC Bank Co., Ltd. in the acquisition of The Tokyo Star Bank, Limited.
- Advised Sumitomo Mitsui Finance and Leasing Company, Limited in relation to its acquisition General Electric Group's Leasing Business in Japan.
- Advised Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd. (also known as Foxconn) and other investors in relation to their investments in Sharp Corporation (which was awarded "M&A Deal of the Year" at International Financial Law Review (IFLR) Asia Awards 2017 and Asian-MENA Counsel - In-House Community Deals of the Year 2016).
- Advised Yanmar Holdings Co., Ltd. in relation to its acquisition of the European compact construction equipment business from Terex Corporation.
- Advised a global electronic components company in Japan in relation to its acquisition of the battery business of a global technology company in Japan.
- Advised a leading Japanese company providing industrial, medical, and electronic device systems on its acquisition of the atomic spectroscopy product business division of a UK listed company.
Restructuring & Insolvency
- Represented a leading technology company listed on NYSE in the Japanese corporate reorganization proceeding of a major Japanese semi-conductor manufacturer.
- Represented a European financial institution in the Japanese civil rehabilitation proceeding of a major Japanese shipping company.
- Acting for Westinghouse group as Japanese legal counsel in connection with the company's global insolvency and restructuring.
- Representing Takata Corporation with respect to its civil rehabilitation proceeding and advising Takata group in relation to US Chapter 11 and 15 proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) - Member
- INSOL International - Member
- Japanese Federation of Insolvency Professionals (JFIP) - Member
- New York (inactive)~United States (2015)
- Japan (2009)
- University of Virginia School of Law (LLM) (2015)
- University of Tokyo Graduate School for Law and Politics (JD) (2008)
- University of Tokyo (LLB) (2006)