Junko Suetomi is a counsel in Baker McKenzie Tokyo. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked in the WTO Dispute Settlement Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Economic Bureau. She has also worked for a global law firm in Washington, DC and New York, and served as a court-appointed defense attorney in many criminal cases.
Junko is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific, Best Lawyers, Who's Who Legal and other legal directories. She is the vice chair of the Human Rights Committee of the Tokyo Bar Association and a part-time lecturer at Waseda University.
She was a legal advisor to the Ministry of Finance Japan's Office of Trade Remedy Affairs, Tariff Policy and Legal Division, Customs and Tariff Bureau from 2016 to 2019. She has served as an expert member of the Ministry's Council on Customs, Tariff, Foreign Exchange and Other Transactions since 13 March 2019.
Junko focuses her practice on commercial and trade laws and regulations, WTO dispute settlement, civil and criminal litigation, antitrust law, bankruptcy law and general corporate law. She has extensive experience advising clients on issues involving trade remedy matters such as anti-dumping and countervailing duties, and import restrictions. She also advises on customs matters, classification and valuation issues, export control and sanctions, tariff treatment, FTA/EPA applications, public procurement, and handles antitrust compliance programs for clients.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major bank with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised machinery manufacturers and a financial firm with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised on the effect of the sanctions imposed on Russia on energy-related projects.
- Assisted companies in responding to anti-dumping investigations.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for auto parts.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for medical products.
- Assisted a company in challenging an advance ruling on dairy product classifications.
- Advised a client on export licenses under CITES.
- Provided updates on export control regulations in various jurisdictions.
- Advised a client on customs valuations for auto parts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Japan Association of International Economic Law - Member
- New York~United States (2006)
- Japan (2000)
- Cornell Law School (LLM)
- New York University School of Law (LLM)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan
- Tokyo University (LLB)
- Kyushu University, Japan (LLB)
Author, "Fight for the Technical Superiority" - the U.S. introduction of new investment restriction act, "FIRRMA," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 25 December 2018
Author, "Toward an Era where Thoughtfulness for Environment and Society is Valued - Rising Concerns with EGS Investments and SDGs Management", Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 12 November 2018
Author, "CPTPP Product Specific Rules of Origin: Identifying Opportunities for your Business", Trade Crossroads, Baker & McKenzie, October 19, 2018
Speaker, "Adventure with 'Trade War'," JETRO, 20 December 2018
Lecturer, "Money Laundering," National Tax College, 19 December 2018