Junko Suetomi is a partner in Baker McKenzie Tokyo. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked in the WTO Dispute Settlement Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Economic Bureau. She has also worked for a global law firm in Washington, DC and New York, and served as a court-appointed defense attorney in many criminal cases.
Junko is recognized as a leading lawyer by Marquis Who's Who, Asia Business Law Journal, Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific, Best Lawyers, Who's Who Legal and other legal directories. She was the chair from 2019 to 2021 and now is vice chair of the Human Rights Committee of the Tokyo Bar Association and a part-time lecturer at Waseda University.
She was a legal advisor to the Ministry of Finance Japan's Office of Trade Remedy Affairs, Tariff Policy and Legal Division, Customs and Tariff Bureau from 2016 to 2019. She has served as a bar examiner of the Ministry of Justice since November 2020. She has served as an expert member of the Ministry's Council on Customs, Tariff, Foreign Exchange and Other Transactions since 13 March 2019. She has served as an expert member of the Financial Services Agency's Financial System Council, Fund Settlement System Working Group since October 11, 2021. She also holds a Certificate in Business Analytics from the Harvard Business Analytics Program (March 2021).
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major bank with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised machinery manufacturers and a financial firm with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised on the effect of the sanctions imposed on Russia on energy-related projects.
- Assisted companies in responding to anti-dumping investigations.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for auto parts.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for medical products.
- Assisted a company in challenging an advance ruling on dairy product classifications.
- Advised a client on export licenses under CITES.
- Provided updates on export control regulations in various jurisdictions.
- Advised a client on customs valuations for auto parts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Japan Association of International Economic Law - Member
- New York~United States (2006)
- Japan (2000)
- Cornell Law School (LLM)
- New York University School of Law (LLM)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan
- The University of Tokyo (LLB)
- Kyushu University, Japan (LLB)
Publications and articles
- Author, "Sanctions against Myanmar and Business Activities," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 11 June, 2021
- Co-Author, Global Trends on Commercial Dispute Resolutions in the New Era (2) "Trend Under the Biden Administration of the Extraterritorial Application of U.S. Export," JCA Journal, June 2021, Vol. 68 No. 6, 10 June 2021
- Author, "The Function of Dispute Settlement Systems under Bilateral or Regional Agreements to Complement the WTO's Dispute Settlement System and the Reform of the Dispute Settlement System—Focusing on Disputes Related to Environmental Matters, Including Renewable Energy," 'Public Policy Review Vol. 16, No. 5 "Diverse Perspectives on the Conventional Regimes for Free Trade in the Current International Community," Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, August 2020
- Author, "Tactics of the United States and China over Hong Kong - US The Hong Kong Autonomy Act and National Security Law of the People's Republic of China," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 25 January, 2021
- Author, "In the midst of separation and integration - US reinforcement of restrictions against Huawei and its effects of Semiconductors Industry," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 9 October, 2020
- Author, "New Normal - on or after COVID-19," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 18 June 2020