Junko Suetomi is a partner in Baker McKenzie Tokyo. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked in the WTO Dispute Settlement Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Economic Bureau. She has also worked for a global law firm in Washington, DC and New York, and served as a court-appointed defense attorney in many criminal cases.
Junko is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific, Best Lawyers, Who's Who Legal and other legal directories. She is the Chair of the Human Rights Committee of the Tokyo Bar Association and a part-time lecturer at Waseda University.
She was a legal advisor to the Ministry of Finance Japan's Office of Trade Remedy Affairs, Tariff Policy and Legal Division, Customs and Tariff Bureau from 2016 to 2019. She has served as an expert member of the Ministry's Council on Customs, Tariff, Foreign Exchange and Other Transactions since 13 March 2019.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major bank with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised machinery manufacturers and a financial firm with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised on the effect of the sanctions imposed on Russia on energy-related projects.
- Assisted companies in responding to anti-dumping investigations.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for auto parts.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for medical products.
- Assisted a company in challenging an advance ruling on dairy product classifications.
- Advised a client on export licenses under CITES.
- Provided updates on export control regulations in various jurisdictions.
- Advised a client on customs valuations for auto parts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Japan Association of International Economic Law - Member
- New York~United States (2006)
- Japan (2000)
- Cornell Law School (LLM)
- New York University School of Law (LLM)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan
- Tokyo University (LLB)
- Kyushu University, Japan (LLB)
Publications and articles
- Author, "New Normal - on or after COVID-19", Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 18 June 2020
- Author, "Export Control regulations - its History and Issues", 'Issues of Special Civil Laws Vol. 6', Kansai Law & Patent Office, Festschrift for 55th Anniversary of the Foundation, March 11, 2020, printed by Daiichi Hoki K.K.
- Author, "Investment Restriction in the Amendment of the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 13 March 2020
- Contributing expert, "World Justice Project Rule of Law Index 2020," World Justice Project, 11 March 2020
- Author, "Crisis of WTO Dispute Settlement System: Urgent Need of Reform," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 27 January 2020