Junko Suetomi is a counsel in Baker McKenzie Tokyo. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked in the WTO Dispute Settlement Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Economic Bureau. She has also worked for a global law firm in Washington, DC and New York, and served as a court-appointed defense attorney in many criminal cases.
Junko is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific, Best Lawyers, Who's Who Legal and other legal directories. She is a vice chair of the Human Rights Committee of the Tokyo Bar Association and a part-time lecturer at Waseda University.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major bank with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised machinery manufacturers and a financial firm with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised on the effect of the sanctions imposed on Russia on energy-related projects.
- Assisted companies in responding to anti-dumping investigations.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for auto parts.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for medical products.
- Assisted a company in challenging an advance ruling on dairy product classifications.
- Advised a client on export licenses under CITES.
- Provided updates on export control regulations in various jurisdictions.
- Advised a client on customs valuations for auto parts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2006)
- Japan (2000)
- Cornell Law School (LLM)
- New York University School of Law (LLM)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan
- Tokyo University (LLB)
- Kyushu University, Japan (LLB)
- Author, "Crisis of WTO Dispute Settlement System: Urgent Need of Reform," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 27 January 2020
- Author, "The Function of Dispute Settlement Systems under Bilateral or Regional Agreements to Complement the WTO's Dispute Settlement System and the Reform of the Dispute Settlement System—Focusing on Disputes Related to Environmental Matters, Including Renewable Energy—", 'Financial Review' Vol. 140, 'Various Aspects of Treaty System of Free Trade in Current International Society', Policy Research Institute, Ministry of Finance Japan, November 2019
- Author, "US OFAC Sanctions Program applied in parallel with Export and Re-export regulations," 'The Finance', Seminar-Info K.K., September 2019
- Author, "Overseas subsidiaries' legal risk management practice," Chapter 7 Trade investment risk, Chuokeizai-Sha Holdings, Inc., 15 September 2019
- Lecturer, "Latest Updates and Practice of Financial Institutions in Japan, US and UK regarding Compliance of AML/CFT and Anti Financial Crime:Best Practice and Next Steps, Seminar Info, 22 January 2020
- Lecturer, "Money Laundering," National Tax College, 18 December 2019
Speaker, "Supplement and Reform of the function of WTO Dispute Settlement System", International Economic Dispute Settlement Study Seminar, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 9 October 2019
- Guest speaker, "Issues and Reform of International Dispute Settlement System - Renewable Energy Cases-"," Waseda University seminar, Waseda University, 28 May 2019
- Moderator, "US and EU Sanctions: Latest Developments? Plus Restrictions on Foreign Direct Investments, US Export Control Reform Act - Emerging & Foundational Technologies," JETRO, 15 January 2019