Junko Suetomi is a counsel in Baker McKenzie Tokyo. Prior to joining the Firm, she worked in the WTO Dispute Settlement Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' Economic Bureau. She has also worked for a global law firm in Washington, DC and New York, and served as a court-appointed defense attorney in many criminal cases.
Junko is recognized as a leading lawyer by Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific, Best Lawyers, Who's Who Legal and other legal directories. She is a vice chair of the Human Rights Committee of the Tokyo Bar Association and a part-time lecturer at Waseda University.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major bank with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised machinery manufacturers and a financial firm with respect to sanctions imposed on Iran.
- Advised on the effect of the sanctions imposed on Russia on energy-related projects.
- Assisted companies in responding to anti-dumping investigations.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for auto parts.
- Assisted importers with customs classifications for medical products.
- Assisted a company in challenging an advance ruling on dairy product classifications.
- Advised a client on export licenses under CITES.
- Provided updates on export control regulations in various jurisdictions.
- Advised a client on customs valuations for auto parts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2006)
- Japan (2000)
- Cornell Law School (LLM)
- New York University School of Law (LLM)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan
- Tokyo University (LLB)
- Kyushu University, Japan (LLB)
Author, "Additional Export Control Regulations against the Republic of Korea - Export Control Regulations and Trade Disputes - " Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 8 August 2019
Author, "ECRA (Export Control Reform Act) and Restriction on Huawei," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 3 July 2019 Author, "Enforcement of the Japan-EU EPA and the Brexit Outlook," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 3 March 2019
Commentator, "Bowing out as Japan tires of UK's waiting game," The Times, 25 February 2019
Author, "Fight for the Technical Superiority" -- the U.S. introduction of new investment restriction act, "FIRRMA," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 25 December 2018
Author, "Toward an Era where Thoughtfulness for Environment and Society Is Valued -- Rising Concerns with ESG Investments and SDGs Management," Nikkei Research Global Marketing Campus, Nikkei Research Inc., 12 November 2018
Author, "CPTPP Product Specific Rules of Origin: Identifying Opportunities for your Business," Trade Crossroads, Baker & McKenzie, October 19, 2018
Guest speaker, "Issues and Reform of International Dispute Settlement System - Renewable Energy Cases-"," Waseda University seminar, Waseda University, 28 May 2019
Moderator, "US and EU Sanctions: Latest Developments? Plus Restrictions on Foreign Direct Investments, US Export Control Reform Act - Emerging & Foundational Technologies," JETRO, 15 January 2019