Jonathan is a partner in the Pensions Department and has over a decade's experience as a pensions lawyer. Jonathan joined Baker McKenzie in 2003 and he has spent three months in Baker McKenzie's Chicago office in their employee benefit department in 2008.
Jonathan is a member of the Association of Pensions Lawyers, sits on the Legal Advisory Group of the Pensions & Lifetime Savings Association, and also the PASA (Pensions Administration Standards Association) DC governance working group.
Jonathan has spoken at a number of conferences, including the Association of Pension Lawyers' summer conference, for the Pensions Management Institute, and the Association of Member Nominated Trustees.
Jonathan advises companies and trustees in a variety of sectors on the legal aspects of operating pension plans. This includes establishing and amending pension schemes, investments, and resolving scheme members' complaints and Pensions Ombudsman disputes. He has a particular interest in the tax issues relating to pensions.
Jonathan has undertaken a variety of projects for clients, including complex pension plan mergers, the set-up of asset backed funding arrangements, and entering into fiduciary management agreements.
Another area of expertise is coordinating and advising on pensions in the context of multijurisdictional transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a leading global services provider on the merger of five pension schemes in order to create a single pension scheme with assets in excess of GBP 3 billion.
- Advised trustees on negotiating and entering into a fiduciary management agreement relating the entirety of the assets of the plan (c. GBP 1 billion).
- Advised trustees of two pension schemes on the implementation of two asset backed contribution vehicles using loan notes.
- Advised Hitachi on the pension aspects of the acquisition of ABB's power grids business in over 100 jurisdictions.
- Advising Agilent on the spin-off of the Keysight business and the establishment of new UK defined benefit and defined contribution pension plans.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2005)
- College of Law, Chester (L.P.C.) (2002)
- University of Manchester (LL.B., Honors) (2001)
- Co-author, "Consolidators: The Next Big Thing or the Emperor's New Clothes?" Pensions Age, July 2019