Corinne Schot is the managing partner of Baker McKenzie's Amsterdam office as of October 2018 and is also a member of Baker McKenzie's Global Financial Services Regulatory Steering Committee and the Global Pricing Committee. Corinne joined the Amsterdam Banking & Finance practice as a partner in 2011 and has been consistently recognized as a leading derivatives and financial regulatory lawyer in Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, Legal 500 and IFLR directories.
Corinne is seasoned in derivatives, structured finance and international financial regulation. Her clients include large international financial institutions (including the Bankruptcy Estate of three Lehman Brothers entities and major banks), various pension funds, public bodies, social housing corporations and insurance companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting as lead counsel on the unwinding of the structured products portfolio, including the valuation, of 1) Lehman Brothers Securities N.V., 2) Lehman Brothers (Luxembourg) Equity Finance S.A., 3) Lehman Brothers (Luxembourg) S.A. The value of the portfolio (nominal) is EUR12 billion, USD8 billion and USD10 billion, respectively.
- Advising a large bank on its first major transaction in the longevity market, with the structuring and syndication of a EUR1.4 billion longevity swap deal for an insurance company, and on the Dutch law aspects of a macrolongevity hedge transaction.
- Advising a major bank and insurer on various Dutch regulatory aspects of its Dutch branch, including mortgage lending, derivatives and the introduction of SEPA.
- Advising clients on their EMIR obligations regarding counterparties and in relation with their ISDA Master Agreements. Advised on the impact of EMIR in general and on adapting intercompany and external contracts.
- Advising a major US distributor and insurance intermediary in relation to mobile phones on successfully obtaining a Dutch insurance intermediary license and the passporting thereof in Europe, including the setting up of a Dutch corporate governance structure.
- Advising various Dutch and foreign multinational and international clients on the implementation of the Alternative Investment Fund Manager Directive, helping address questions regarding the directive’s provisions — in particular with regard to licensing obligations and requirements, and exemptions thereof, and fund documentation.
- Acting as lead coordinator on the update of netting opinions in various jurisdictions for Rabobank.
- Representing a major insurer in its negotiations regarding all contracts relating to the derivatives portfolio of EUR1 billion with the Rabobank and ING Bank N.V.
- Advising a national organization promoting the interests of Dutch social housing corporations on the possible consequences of new legislation regarding derivatives specific for housing corporations and the implementation of EMIR. On behalf of this client, participating in meetings with the Dutch legislator regarding the new legislation.
- Representing several housing corporations in their negotiations regarding all contracts relating to the derivatives portfolios with, among others, JP Morgan, Deutsche Bank, Rabobank, Citibank and ING Bank N.V. (hedge portfolios between EUR250 million and EUR2 billion).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA)
- International Bar Association
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Amsterdam~Netherlands (2000)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (1999)
- Erasmus University Rotterdam (1997)
Author, "To hedge or not to hedge - the future of the derivatives market" (To hedge or not to hedge; de toekomst van de derivatenmarkt), Onderneming en Financiering, 2012
Author, "Financing and derivatives; pitfalls in ISDA-documentation," (Financiering en derivaten; Valkuilen in de ISDA-documentatie), Onderneming en Financiering, 2009