William J. Rowe is a mergers and acquisitions partner in Chicago. He assists global clients, many Fortune 100 repeat acquirers, with transformational domestic and international mergers and acquisitions. Representative clients include FedEx, McDonald's, Stryker, Daimler, Kao Corporation and Laboratoires Servier as well as companies seeking to be acquired. He has spoken at conferences held by or been published by Bloomberg, Practicing Law Institute, the Chicago Bar Association and Deal Lawyers, among others, on practical developments for international acquisitions.
William has extensive experience as lead M&A counsel assisting clients with complex and development strategy driven mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, including transactions involving venture capital or private equity backed businesses and start-ups, intellectual property driven technology transactions, carve out transactions and in-bound or outbound geographic expansions through acquisitions. His practice emphasizes cross border acquisitions, representations and warranty insurance and sell side transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Hyland on its carve-out sale of the LawLogix immigration software division to Equifax.
- Advised Servier on its USD 1.8 billion carve-out acquisition of the oncology business of Agios Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Advised McDonald's on the acquisition of artificial intelligence companies, Apprente (Silicon Valley) and Dynamic Yield (Israel), and its flagship commercial transaction with Uber.
- Advised FedEx on its e-commerce acquisition of ShopRunner, its USD 1.4 billion acquisition of Genco Distribution System, its USD 4.8 billion acquisition of TNT Express and other matters.
- Advised Mercedes-Benz Group, Daimler Trucks, Booking Holdings, FedEx, and confidential technology companies and family offices in multiple minority investments in Silicon Valley and other technology and autonomous driving venture-funded businesses.
- Advised Crane Co., a US public company, on its USD 800 million acquisition of Crane & Co., Inc., a private company supplier of secure banknotes.
- Advised Safran on its USD 710 million sale of its Morpho Detection airport security business.
- Advised Walgreens, Almirall, Hospira, Abbott and Kao Corporation on global joint ventures, acquisitions and divestitures.
- Advised Material Handling Systems on its sale to Thomas H. Lee and The Kenrich Group in its sale to HKA, each private employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) sale transactions.
- Advised Medtronic, Ecolab and Telvent in connection with US public target acquisitions and tender offers.
- Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers Individual Awards, 2012-2021
William is a board member of the Japan America Society of Chicago, a 92 year old non-profit organization promoting economic, cultural and social connections between Chicago and Japan, which provides Japanese language and cultural programs for Chicago residents as well as cross-border economic seminars for businesses with presences in both the United States and Japan.
- Illinois~United States (2007)
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., Honors) (2007)
- Northwestern University (B.A. Legal Studies, Honors) (2004)
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author, "Transactional Tax Liability Policies - At the Top of the Adoption Curve," Bloomberg Tax Management Memorandum, June 2020
- Co-author, "Material Adverse Effect in the Uncertain World of COVID-19," Deal Lawyers, May-June 2020
- Speaker, "So You Want to Buy a Tech Company," Connect on Tech Podcast, March 2020
- Speaker, "Cross Border Rep and Warranty Insurance Coverage In Depth," AON Transaction Solutions Symposium, February 2020
- Speaker/Faculty, "Closing Business Transactions - Practical Legal Considerations," Practicing Law Institute, November 2017, 2018 and 2019
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.