Ed Poulton is Managing Partner in Baker McKenzie’s London office and a member of the Dispute Resolution team. A key name in the arbitration community, Ed sits as an arbitrator in ICC and LCIA arbitrations, and is the consulting editor of a seminal text on the arbitration of M&A disputes. He also sits on the steering committee for the Firm’s Global International Arbitration Practice Group.
Ed is recognised in the fields of international arbitration and public international law by Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners.
Ed focuses on advising clients on managing risk and resolving disputes relating to investment treaties, financial services and M&A. He is highly experienced in resolving disputes through international arbitration (in which respect he has experience of all of the major arbitral institutions and of ad hoc arbitration) and by other methods including litigation and mediation. In addition to commercial dispute resolution, Ed regularly advises clients in relation to investment treaties and public international law issues, in which regard he serves as counsel on matters ranging from ICSID annulment cases to PIL issues arising from financial crises. Ed is experienced and knowledgeable in a wide range of sectors, including financial services, electronics, aviation and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for international companies in two ICSID Additional Facility arbitrations against Mexico (including as one of the advocates at the final hearing).
- Acting for a large Eastern European bank in four ICC arbitrations, involving claims and counterclaims for more than USD3 billion (including as one of the advocates at the final hearing).
- Acting for a major bank defending claims in the Commercial Court brought against it by certain subordinated creditors for actions it took as security trustee in a major restructuring.
- Advising a large multinational company on its possible public international law remedies against regulatory decisions in the UK and around the world.
- Acting for a Singaporean company in an LCIA arbitration claim under a share purchase agreement against Spanish sellers.
- Advising and acting for a number of clients, including The Body Shop International PLC, in defamation and breach of confidence/privacy matters.
- Acting for a publicly listed ISP in dealing with a sequence of requests for information and Norwich Pharmacal applications.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- London Court of International Arbitration
- Law Society of England & Wales
- International Chamber of Commerce
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Investment Protection Forum of the British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2002)
- Nottingham University (L.P.C.) (2000)
- Université Lyon III (LL.B. English and French Law) (1999)
- University of East Anglia