Kelvin Poa is an investment fund corporate and regulatory professional, and leads the Firm's Asia Pacific Private Equity group. He draws on his extensive background in private equity — and proficiency in fund formation and structuring — to deliver innovative and workable solutions for clients. He advises leading private equity and real estate houses to find ‘fund compatible’ structures for their investment acquisitions, restructurings and exits — and assists asset management clients to navigate transformational transactions or complex reorganisations successfully. Kelvin is recognised by leading legal directories for his experience in fund formation.
Kelvin focuses on fund formation and structuring, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, venture capital and private equity.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a group of investment professionals from one of the top Singapore banks on the establishment of a USD 1 billion Southeast Asian fund focused on making structured investments;
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank and IL&FS on the establishment of a USD 800 billion co-sponsored infrastructure fund focused on making infrastructure investments in Asia.
- Advising on the establishment of Affinity Asia Pacific Fund II L.P. a USD 700 million Asian buy-out fund.
- Advised an international investment bank (in joint venture with an Indian listed manager) in respect of the establishment of a USD 1 billion fund focused on making infrastructure investments.
- Advised Tata Steel on its USD 285 million acquisition of the steel and steel related businesses of NatSteel, which covered companies and operations in eight countries.
- Advised M&L Hospitality Trust on the disposal to Alpha Investment Partners of the hotel known as Ibis Singapore Novena together with the hotel operating business for SGD 150 million.
- Assisting Rockwool International A/S in the acquisition of the Asian minerals wools, panels and trading business from CSR Limited.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based hotel group on the successful acquisition of a major hotel in Orchard Road, Singapore.
- Advised the world’s largest contract manufacturer in its restructuring activities following its USD 2.5 billion takeover of a listed Singapore company.
- Advised Qantas on its investment in a budget airline based out of Singapore.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Academy of Law - Member
- Law Society of Singapore - Member
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2005)
- Singapore (1999)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B. Honors) (1999)
- Oxford University (Worcester College) (1997)