Hiroaki Nagahashi is a member of the Firm's Antitrust & Competition Law group, Corporate/ M&A group and Dispute Resolution group in Tokyo. He is seasoned in the areas of M&A, competition law (including the Antimonopoly Act, among others), consumer protection law (including the False Labeling Prevention Act, Food Labeling Act and other advertising & labeling regulations, domestic and international litigation and general corporate law. He is admitted to practice in Japan and New York and certified as a Food Labeling Consultant by the Food Labeling Testing Institute.
Hiroaki helps advise clients on matters related to unreasonable restraint of trade such as leniency applications, and merger control such as filing and assessment for anti-competitive effect. He also advises clients on legal issues resulting from day-to-day business such as private monopolization or unfair trade practices, and assists them establish compliance programs pertaining to competition law. Additionally, he is also experienced in advertising & labeling regulation, subcontract regulation and foreign competition laws of the US, EU and Asian countries. Moreover, Hiroaki carries out numerous domestic and international litigation, M&A, and insolvency matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducted internal investigation and provided legal advice for domestic and international clients in a large variety of industries such as food, automotive, tourism, insurance, cosmetics, e-commerce, etc., to ensure proper advertising and labeling of each product or service (including defending them threatened by regulator's investigation).
- Advised clients in relation to matters such as Japanese and international mergers and acquisitions concerning anti-monopoly law.
- Advised clients on cartel related matters, and represented clients in applications for leniency under the anti-monopoly law.
- Advised clients concerning private monopolization and unfair trade practices under the anti-monopoly law.
- Represented clients in various types of litigations relating to anti-trust violation or resulting from controversial advertising & marketing methods, collective lawsuits for damages concerning securities trading and other types of litigation or dispute.
- Advised clients on corporate restructuring and insolvency laws, and represented clients in corporate restructuring and bankruptcy proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- Japan Competition Law Forum - Member
- American Bar Association - Section on Antitrust Law
- American Bar Association - Consumer Protection Commission
- New York~United States (2015)
- Japan (2007)
- Fordham University School of Law (Master of Laws) (2014)
- Chuo University (LL.B.) (2006)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.