Sarah Merrett is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Real Estate Practice Group in Brisbane. She has more than seven years' experience advising on real estate transactions, property developments, infrastructure projects and tenure issues. Sarah's experience has been gained from advising clients in both government and private sectors. She currently teaches property law at the Queensland University of Technology.
Sarah advises on various property and related matters, drawing from her keen interest in the area of property law to align with her clients' commercial drivers where possible. She provides property advice in respect of large projects, and has brought to settlement both acquisitions and disposals of assets. Sarah also has extensive experience in leasing and licensing transactions, in relation to commercial, retail and industrial assets. She has worked closely with other practitioners in relation to zoning laws, mortgagor default issues and land use arrangements.
Representative Legal Matters
- Brought to completion the purchase of the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa for a Thai client.
- Brought to completion the purchase of 99 Melbourne Street, Brisbane, on behalf of a Credit Suisse entity.
- Acted for financiers in relation to financing various Queensland assets or enforcing securities in respect of various assets.
- Provided billable and pro bono assistance to various tenants to negotiate and finalize tenancy arrangements.
- Acted for various operators in respect of negotiating and registering carbon abatement arrangements and arrangements for wind and solar farms.
- Provided specialist property advice in respect of various business acquisitions and takeovers.
Prior to joining the Firm, Sarah:
- Provided tenure and titling advice in relation to residential and commercial developments, tollways, mines and agricultural holdings.
- Provided whole of complex office, retail and industrial leasing advice in relation to multiple CBD buildings and other developments.
- Brought to settlement a transaction involving the sale of six office buildings in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria.
- Brought to settlement the disposal for redevelopment of a city block in the Brisbane CBD.
- Queensland High Court~Australia (2008)
- Queensland University of Technology (Bachelor of Business Accounting) (2008)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice) (2008)
- Queensland University of Technology (Bachelor of Laws First Class Honors) (2008)