Sarah Merrett is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Real Estate Practice Group in Brisbane. She has more than nine years' experience advising on real estate transactions, property developments, infrastructure projects and tenure issues. Sarah's experience has been gained from advising clients in both government and private sectors and from teaching property law at the Queensland University of Technology.
Sarah advises on various property and related matters, drawing from her keen interest in the area of property law to align with her clients' commercial drivers where possible. She provides property advice in respect of large projects, and has brought to settlement both acquisitions and disposals of assets. Sarah also has extensive experience in leasing and licensing transactions, in relation to commercial, retail and industrial assets. She has worked closely with other practitioners in relation to zoning laws, mortgagor default issues and land use arrangements. Her current practice focuses primarily on the renewables sector and sales and acquisitions of sites.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised operators on the establishment of multiple solar farms in Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia.
- Advised purchasers regarding the acquisitions of various Queensland hotel assets.
- Advised the vendor regarding the sale and leaseback of a large tourist facility.
- Provided tenure and titling advice in relation to residential, industrial and commercial developments, pipelines, tollways, mines and agricultural holdings.
- Provided whole of complex office, retail and industrial leasing advice in relation to multiple CBD and CBD fringe buildings and other developments, from both an institutional landlord and incoming tenant perspective.
- Acted for financiers in relation to financing various Queensland assets or enforcing securities in respect of various assets.
- Provided property advice in respect of various business acquisitions and takeovers.
- Queensland High Court~Australia (2008)
- Queensland University of Technology (Bachelor of Business Accounting) (2008)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice) (2008)
- Queensland University of Technology (Bachelor of Laws First Class Honors) (2008)