Chizu Matsumaru is a member of the Corporate / Mergers & Acquisitions Practice Group in the Firm’s Tokyo office. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, she worked at Yodoyabashi & Yamagami Legal Professional Corporation where she handled matters related to mergers and acquisitions, advised clients on their international expansion projects and drafted various types of international agreements. She has been seconded to Baker McKenzie's Hanoi office since May 2013 where she provides legal advice mainly to the Japanese clients of the office.
Ms. Matsumaru focuses her practice primarily on M&A, dispute resolution and general corporate matters. She has significant experience handling due diligence in mergers and acquisitions, drafting a wide range of agreements including international license agreements, distributor agreements and purchase and sale agreements. She has also worked on issues involving the establishment/management of companies, import/export regulations and foreign investment restrictions, as well as general corporate matters.
Representative Legal Matters
In her former capacity as a lawyer at Yodoyabashi & Yamagami Legal Professional Corporation, she was involved in a number of notable transactions:
- Represented a listed Japanese company in acquiring a business from the Japanese arm of a US franchise chain.
- Assisted a listed Japanese company with its due diligence and acquisition scheme related to its acquisition of a Hong Kong-listed Cayman Islands company.
- Represented a listed Japanese company on its joint venture with a Thai company in Thailand.
- Assisted a Japanese company on the drafting and establishment of a joint venture agreement in Singapore with a local company.
- Represented a borrower in a rent abatement claim in relation to a sublease agreement at the Japan Supreme Court. Successfully won the case by reversing and remanding the judgment.
- Represented a major Japanese bank charged with allegedly breaching the Act on Prohibition of Private Monopolization and Maintenance of Fair Trade and its obligation to disclose information regarding the sale of securitized products.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2011)
- Japan (2005)
- Columbia Law School (LL.M.) (2010)
- The Legal Training and Research Institute of the Supreme Court of Japan (Supreme Court of Japan) (2005)
- Kyoto University (LL.B.) (2003)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.