Andrew Martin is the Managing Principal and co-head of the M&A Practice Group in Singapore. He is recognised as a leading lawyer by legal directories such as Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500. He trained and initially worked in England, followed by several years in Hong Kong and Australia before settling in Singapore in 2002.
Representative Legal Matters
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised a US healthcare group on its acquisition of the business carried out by a SEA / Indian target and its group companies, which relates to product development, implementation and support of various hospital information systems and electronic medical record solutions to healthcare providers.
- Advised LafargeHolcim, a global leader in building materials and solutions, on the divestment of its interest in Holcim Lanka to Siam City Cement Public Company Limited (SCCC), Thailand’s second largest cement producer, for an enterprise value of USD 400 million.
- Advised Allied World on the USD 215 million acquisition of the Singapore and Hong Kong general insurance and reinsurance business of Royal & Sun Alliance plc.
- Advised EQT Greater China II Limited and Management on the sale through an auction process of 100% of the equity of Klassisk Investment Limited and the Classic Fine Food Group of companies (across 14 countries) to the Metro Group for an enterprise value of USD 290 million plus earnout of up to USD 38 million (Awarded Singapore Venture Capital Association PE deal of the year 2016, nominated for Asian Venture Capital Journal Mid-Market Exit of the Year 2015, and shortlisted for the ALB Southeast Asia Law Awards 2016 "M&A Deal of the Year (Midsize)"), having advised EQT on the original acquisition in December 2010.
- Advised EQT Greater China II Limited on the acquisition through an auction process of 100% of the equity of Klassisk Investment Limited and the majority of the Classic Fine Food Group of companies followed by two bolt-on acquisitions of the remainder of the Classic Group in SE Asia.
- Advised leading European jewellery group on acquisition of its Singapore and Macau third party distribution business including pre-closing restructuring of Singapore business with multiple prime real estate leases.
- Advising TUV SUD Group on the acquisition of the PSB Group of companies from Spring Singapore (a Singapore Govt, statutory board) and the subsequent sale of its Asian education business, branded PSB Academy, to Barings PE and a separate sale of its technology consultancy division and corporate learning arm.
- Advising Unilever, on its acquisition of a majority stake and joint venture with Europe & Asia Commercial Company Ltd (EAC) in Myanmar. The transaction builds on Unilever and EAC's current operations in the country and evidences Unilever's long-term commitment to strengthen its portfolio, build scale and accelerate growth in the country and across the South East Asian market.
- Advising NYSE-listed Bunge Limited, a leading agribusiness and food company, on its joint venture with Wilmar International Limited in Vietnam.
- Advised global group HQ’d in SE Asia on multi-jurisdictional restructuring project aimed at improving overall tax efficiency and reducing costs and expenses associated with multiple entities further to a rebranding strategy. We helped design the macro-plan for the restructuring with our tax team followed by implementation across all continents.
- Singapore (2011)
- New South Wales~Australia (1997)
- Queensland~Australia (1997)
- Tasmania~Australia (1994)
- Hong Kong (1994)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1991)
- College of Law at Guildford (S.F.E.) (1989)
- University of Durham (B.A., First Class) (1988)
- Hong Kong