Andrew Martin is the head of the Corporate & Securities Practice Group in Singapore and a member of the Firm’s Global Compliance Steering Committee, India Focus Group and Asia Pacific Regional M&A Steering Committee. He is recognised as a leading lawyer by legal directories such as Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500. He trained and initially worked in England, followed by several years in Hong Kong and Australia before settling in Singapore in 2002.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a major FMCG group on an acquisition and JV in Myanmar.
- Advised LafargeHolcim on the disposal of its integrated cement business in Sri Lanka; Holcim (Lanka) Limited through an auction process for an enterprise value of USD 400 million.
- Advised EQT Greater China II Limited and Management on the sale through an auction process of 100% of the equity of Klassisk Investment Limited and the Classic Fine Food Group of Companies (across 14 countries) to the Metro Group for an enterprise value of USD 290 million plus earnout of up to USD 38 million (Awarded Singapore Venture Capital Association PE Deal of the year 2016, nominated for Asian Venture Capital Journal Mid-Market Exit of the Year 2015, and shortlisted for the ALB Southeast Asia Law Awards 2016 “M&A Deal of the Year (Midsize)"), having advised EQT on the original acquisition in December 2010.
- Advised NYSE-listed Bunge Limited, a leading agribusiness and food company, on its joint venture with Wilmar International Limited in Vietnam.
- Advised a leading European jewelry group on the acquisition of its Singapore and Macau third party distribution business including pre-closing restructuring of Singapore business with multiple prime real estate leases.
- Advised Allied World on the USD 215 million acquisition of the Singapore and Hong Kong general insurance and reinsurance business of Royal & Sun Alliance plc.
Compliance and Advisory
- Advised a Japanese multi-national on all applicable legal requirements in relation to alleged bribes in SE Asia, including Singapore and Cambodia. This involved employee interviews, document review and advising on both local laws and the application of US and UK extra-territorial laws, as well as suggesting a full suite of remedial measures and presenting on the same to the official Sanctions Panel of a European NGO.
- One of two co-ordinators for a pan-Asian anti-bribery investigation for a US MNC including advice on self-reporting obligations, bribery offences and anti-money laundering issues.
- Advised a European commodities trading house on allegations from an ex-employee whistleblower including document review and employee interviews. The subject matter entailed the putting into place of bespoke data protection agreements and protocols to ensure observation of applicable European data protection laws as well as a consideration of local Asian regulations.
- Coordinated and project managed a U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and Asian bribery law audit for regional HQ of large U.S. multinational with manufacturing and distribution operations across.
- Singapore (2011)
- New South Wales~Australia (1997)
- Queensland~Australia (1997)
- Tasmania~Australia (1994)
- Hong Kong (1994)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1991)
- College of Law at Guildford (S.F.E.) (1989)
- University of Durham (B.A. First Class) (1988)
- Hong Kong