Dr. Manuel Lorenz joined Baker McKenzie in 1999 and currently serves as Head of German Financial Services Regulatory Practice. Dr. Lorenz has been admitted as a lawyer in Germany since 1991 and in England and Wales since 1996. In addition to his practice, Dr. Lorenz lectures at the Institute for Law and Finance at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main.
Dr. Manuel Lorenz has worked on numerous initial public offerings, tender offers and other corporate and capital markets transactions of listed companies and he advises issuers and market participants on all capital markets and corporate law issues, such as compliance, corporate governance and corporate structuring. Another area of his practice is advising banks, securities firms and fund issuers on regulatory matters such as licensing and compliance as well as structuring and registration of products.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised banks and fund managers on regulatory aspects of fund distribution, including new AIFMD rules.
- Advised Meiji Yasuda, a convertible bond holder, in the IPO of Talanx AG.
- Advised Schuler Beteilgungen GmbH in the divestiture of its interest in Schuler AG to Andritz AG (followed by a public tender offer).
- Advised foreign fund managers on EU short-selling regulation.
- Advised UBS AG in the financing of the takeover of Roth & Rau AG by Meyer-Burger AG.
- Advised Yorkville Advisors in several standby equity transactions involving listed issuers (Medigene AG, Sygnis Pharma AG, Magforce AG, ItN Nanovation AG).
- Advised Southeastern Asset Management in the takeover of Hochtief AG by ACS.
- Regulatory advice to the leasing subsidiary of a large computer manufacturer, particularly organisational duties and matters of outsourcing.
- Advised SKW Metallurgie AG in its rights offering.
- Advise to an international fashion retailer in obtaining an e-money license for its prepaid card system and on resulting regulatory obligations, including anti-money laundering compliance.
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1996)
- Germany (1991)
- University of Frankfurt/M. (Dr. jur.) (1991)
- University of Illinois (LL.M.) (1986)
- University of Frankfurt/M. (Referendar Exam) (1983)
Baker & McKenzie Partnerschaft von Rechtsanwälten, Wirtschaftsprüfern und Steuerberatern mbB is a professional partnership under German law registered with the Local Court of Frankfurt/Main at PR No. 1602. It is associated with Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.