Brian Lau is a special counsel in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and is a member of the Firm's Banking & Finance Practice Group.
Brian's practice covers both transactional and banking regulatory matters. He regularly acts for local and international banks and borrowers on Hong Kong and cross-border financing transactions. He also frequently advises both banks and non-banks on a broad range of banking regulatory and advisory matters. Brian has been with the Firm since 2007. Prior to joining the Hong Kong office of the Firm, Brian worked in the Firm’s Sydney and Tokyo offices.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised China Development Bank on both the Hong Kong and Australian aspects of its project financing of the Sino Iron project in Western Australia, which is wholly owned by CITIC Limited.
- Advised ICBC Asia on a SBLC-backed facility for the financing of the acquisition of shares in an Irish company.
- Advised the lending syndicate on a secured facility granted to a joint venture consortium for the purposes of financing a highway construction project in the PRC.
- Advised Commerzbank on various syndicated loans to financial institution borrowers.
- Assisted various banks (including private banks and virtual banks) with preparing general terms and conditions and standard form loan and security documentation.
- Assisted various banks with its insurance premium financing facilities and associated standard form security documents.
- Assisted a major e-commerce group with its prepaid card facilities in connection with its e-commerce platform, including the making of submissions to the HKMA in connection with the new regulatory regime for stored value facilities and retail payment systems.
- Assisted various corporates and credit card acquirers with merchant agreements for credit cards and alternative payment methods.
- Advised a number of financial institutions and corporates on various securitisation and receivables financing arrangements.
- Advised various European private banks on banking group re-organisations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- New South Wales~Australia
- Hong Kong
- University of New South Wales (LL.B, B.Comm) (2009)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.