Will is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Department based in London. Will acts for clients on a broad range of commercial disputes. In addition to significant experience in conducting commercial litigation, Will has extensive knowledge in the areas of judicial review and public procurement.
Will acts for clients in a wide range of sectors, and has particular experience in the life sciences and healthcare and media and technology industries. He has spent time on secondment at AbbVie, where much of his work focused on market access and public procurement issues.
The instructions Will works on invariably have an international element to them, and he regularly assists clients with developing dispute resolution strategies with a multijurisdictional dimension. Will is fluent in Spanish, and has previously been seconded to Baker McKenzie’s Madrid office.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising an individual on the defence of a High Court claim for conspiracy culminating in a four-week trial in the Commercial Court in Spring 2021.
- Acting for a major record label on a joint venture dispute with a high-profile creative in the music industry.
- Advising a leading social media company on High Court litigation relating to the management of its employee share scheme.
- Acting for a leading broker of financial products in defending a dishonest assistance claim in the Financial List of the High Court.
- Acting for an international digital media company in a claim against a number of defendants for breach of a contract for the supply and set up of a platform to optimise the delivery of video content to mobile devices.
Regulatory, public and media law
- Acting for a leading shipping company on a judicial review claim relating to a freight subsidy scheme put in place by the Department for Transport during the early months of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Advising a leading manufacturer of high-tech surgical equipment on a challenge to the award of a nine-figure public contract by a UK contracting authority.
- Conducting judicial review proceedings on behalf of a charity relating to the implementation by NHS England of technology appraisal guidance issued by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.
- Acting for a leading pharmaceutical company on the development of treatment guidelines by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.
- Advising a provider of oncology services on a dispute with NHS England relating to the commissioning of a diagnostic test in the UK.
- Advising a public body in the financial services sector on the public law aspects of its dispute resolution procedures.
- Assisting a range of clients on managing the impact of Brexit on the conduct of public procurement procedures.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Young Public Lawyers Group
- Procurement Lawyers Association
- Association of British Healthcare Industry's Legal Issues and Compliance Committee - Member
- William has acted for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in an intervention in the Upper Tribunal against the Home Office in relation to asylum claims from Eritrea.
- Will is a founding member of the Baker McKenzie HeForShe Campaign, and is active in the London office's gender equality initiatives. He sits on the BakerWomen Steering Committee (an internal employee group on gender equality) and leads on issues relating to allyship and inclusive behaviour.
- England & Wales (2015)
- College of Law at London (LLB) (2013)
- College of Law at London (Graduate Diploma in Law) (2012)
- University College London (BA in History) (2010)
Publications and Presentations
- Co-author (with Yindi Gesinde, Joanna Ludlam and Kimberley Holder) "Public Procurement in the UK post-Brexit," Baker McKenzie Brexit Blog, February 2021
- Co-author (with Joanna Ludlam and Zak Soithongsuk) "Guidance on Urgent Public Procurement Contracting During the COVID-19 Pandemic," Global Compliance News, May 2020
- Presenter, "Public procurement rules, post-Brexit," ABHI Seminar: Update on Brexit, February 2019
- Co-author (with Kate Corby), "Knocked out on penalties: Liquidated damages clauses and the rule against penalties," Construction Law Review, August 2016
- Co-author (with Sarah King) "Engaging with the NHS in a time of turmoil - top tips for healthcare organisations," Baker McKenzie Public Law Digest, January 2015