Masato Honma is a member of the Firm’s Banking & Finance Practice Group in Tokyo. He has extensive experience in the areas of Financial Regulations, M&A of financial institutions, PFI/PPP, and Project Finance. He was seconded to the Firm’s London office, and UK and New York branches of Japanese banks. In addition to financial matters of the Group, he handles the Casino Act (Integrated Resort Act), and healthcare and hospital related matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented foreign financial institutions in connection with financial regulations applicable to their services (including online platform, mobile payment) in Japan.
- Represented foreign financial institutions in connection with acquisitions of Japanese financial institutions.
- Represented Japanese financial institutions in connection with acquisitions of foreign financial institutions.
- Represented financial institutions, business operators and public enterprises for PFI/PPP matters with regard to maintenance and operation of hospitals, airports, harbor facilities, universities and other school facilities, national and local government offices, libraries, city halls, and waste disposal facilities.
- Represented financial institutions in acquisition finance pertaining to the acquisition of a wind power plant and a thermal power plant.
- Represented sponsors and financial institutions in various renewable energy projects.
- Represented foreign and Japanese financial institutions, investors and medical institutions with respect to hospital acquisition and restructuring, as well as financing and refinancing of hospitals.
- Represented Japanese and foreign listed companies in connection with securities issuance and circulation disclosures under the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act.
- Represented various financial institutions and companies in aviation industry regarding Loan Agreement and Security Package for Aviation Financing as Japanese law counsel.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- New York~United States (2011)
- Japan (2004)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (2010)
- Legal Research & Training Institute of Supreme Court of Japan (2004)
- Waseda University (LL.B.) (2001)