James Heller

James Heller

Associate
Baker & McKenzie Services Limited

Biography

James is a senior associate in our Corporate Group based in London. He principally advises large corporates, infrastructure funds and other financial sponsors in relation to cross-border mergers and acquisitions, shareholder arrangements and corporate reorganisations.

James is one of the Firm's leading advisors with respect to warranty and indemnity insurance and related deal-risk products, advising clients on policy placements around the globe.

James has also spent time on secondment to Itochu Corporation in Tokyo and is a regular visitor to Japan.

Representative Legal Matters

Recent projects in which James has been involved include:

  • Advising Hitachi on its USD 11 billion acquisition and carve out of ABB’s power grids business (largest ever outbound Japanese infrastructure deal)
  • Advising Fiera Infrastructure on its acquisition of a 50% equity interest in Isle of Wight ferry operator Wightlink from Basalt Infrastructure Partners (and related syndication)
  • Advising Fiera Infrastructure on its acquisition of a 14% equity interest in a consortium comprising Dalmore Capital, Semperian PPP Investment Partners and Swiss Life for the acquisition of Cory Riverside Energy from SVP Global, EQT Credit, Commerzbank and other shareholders.
  • Advising Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund II on the structuring and divestment of its stake in Brussels Airport to a consortium of APG, QIC and Swiss Life (including related contentious proceedings)
  • Advising Macquarie European Infrastructure Fund on the divestment of its stake in Autoroutes Paris-Rhin-Rhône (a French toll-road network) to two long term institutional investors
  • Advising L'Oréal on its c.EUR 1 billion disposal of The Body Shop to Natura Cosmeticos
  • Advising Daimler Mercedes-Benz on its establishment of a joint venture with Via for the operation of an on-demand shared ride service in Europe
  • Advising Tokyo-listed Japan Pulp and Paper on its acquisition of 60% of Premier Paper Group with a put and call to acquire the remaining 40% in 2020
  • Advising a Japanese investor on its acquisition of a minority stake in a consortium led by a US buy-out firm, as part of a wider GBP 2.4 billion acquisition
  • Advising Merit Medical, a US-based medical devices company, on the European aspects of its acquisition of Argon Medical Device's critical care business. 

Admissions

  • England & Wales (Solicitor)~United Kingdom (2013)

Education

  • College of Law at London (Legal Practice Course with distinction) (2010)
  • College of Law at London (Graduate Diploma Law with commendation) (2009)
  • University of Oxford (BA Theology Hons, Received University Exhibition Award and Undergraduate Academic Scholarship) (2008)

Languages

  • English

Previous Offices

  • Beijing
  • Tokyo