Jakub Falkowski is a Counsel in the IP/IT department of Baker McKenzie, Warsaw. He has been involved in several IT transactions and arbitration proceedings. Mr. Falkowski has gone on a six-month secondment to a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company. He joined Baker McKenzie in 2007.
Mr. Falkowski regularly advises on technology and outsourcing transactions and counsels companies in the media and technology sectors on digital media issues. He also has considerable experience advising on privacy matters. Additionally, he has dealt with IP issues, particularly with matters relating to unfair competition practices, copyrights, digital media, and e-commerce advisory.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented an American IT company in five-year arbitration proceedings against the largest Polish insurance company connected with the implementation of a central IT system.
- Advised a management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company on a number of IT implementation projects in the financial, telecom and energy sectors, including the large-scale implementation of an IT billing system for a major mobile network operator in Poland.
- Advised the central administration authority on issues related to the national road system in Poland, including issues on collecting and processing of personal data in relation to the implementation of a nationwide road traffic management system covering all motorways in Poland.
- Advised a bank on a complex cross-border transaction, covering the implementation, service and license of an innovative IT solution in Poland and other countries where the bank operates.
- Represented a national Polish broadcaster in a legal audit of contracts for the production and retransmission of programs in the United States (including via the internet) and the preparation of a strategy related to potential litigation.
- Advised a major American cable, satellite and broadcast television network on the regulatory framework governing the launch and operation of a teleshopping channel in Poland.
- Advised an American multinational technology company on media regulatory and commercial issues relating to providing internet radio services and negotiations of licensing agreements with collecting societies.
- Advised a social media company on copyright issues related to the provision of music content by third-party service providers and issues relating to making music available on the internet, including licensing requirements and practice of local collecting societies.
- Advised a global financial services company on privacy and regulatory issues connected with the launch of an innovative offer platform, which will be available to its cardholders.
- Advised the Ministry of Sports and Tourism in connection with a dispute relating to the validity of the copyright transfer to the architects’ designs of over 2,000 public football fields constructed throughout Poland in 2007.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Warsaw Bar Association - Member
- Poland (2014)
- Ruhruniversitat Bochum
- University of Warsaw (Master of Arts)
- American Law Center (University of Florida and Warsaw University)