Ken Chia is a member of the Firm’s IP Tech, International Commercial & Trade and Competition Practice Groups.
He is regularly ranked as a leading TMT and competition lawyer by top legal directories, including Chambers Asia Pacific and Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Ken is an IAPP Certified International Privacy Professional (FIP, CIPP(A), CIPT, CIPM) and a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
Ken has more than 30 years of experience practicing in the areas of IT, telecommunications, intellectual property, trade and commerce, and competition law matters. He routinely assists clients, mostly governments and multinational corporations, in large-scale procurement, outsourcing and regional transactions, and provides sound advice on privacy and e-commerce matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising the Infocommunications Development Authority of Singapore on the tenders for the implementation of both the passive and the active of Singapore’s SGD 1 billion Next Generation National Broadband Network project.
- Advising a leading telecommunications company on its RAN sharing agreements with another leading telecommunications company to create a Shared 2/3/4G RAN network and to expand its existing 4G JV to build a Shared 5G RAN network.
- Advising Y-Max Networks Sdn Bhd on the implementation of a multi-billion ringgit WiMAX network in Peninsular Malaysia and on its agreements to rollout a new IP Core, national WiMax radio access network, OSS/BSS, and microwave transmission network.
- Advising various car manufacturers on telco licensing requirements for Machine to Machine services in Singapore, and the importation of embedded SIMs.
- Advising Singapore Customs on the first IT Public Private Partnership deal in Singapore to create a one-stop integrated logistics information port, TradeXchange.
- Advising an automotive company in reviewing its discounts policies across its full line of parts business in Singapore.
- Advising an industry association on its response to a proposed Government vaccine subsidy program.
- Advising a biopharmaceutical company on government pricing requirements related to its participation in a vaccine tender.
- Advised The Association of Banks in Singapore on the PromptPay-PayNow linkage between Singapore and Thailand’s real-time retail payment systems.
Data Protection and Privacy
- Advising on several data breach cases in Singapore, including 3 which are now reported decisions. We advised client on its voluntary notifications to the PDPC and the remediation measures.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Singapore Academy of Law
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators - Accredited Mediator - ADR Group UK
- Singapore Institute of Arbitrators - Fellow
- Singapore (2001)
- California~United States (1997)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1991)
- Stirling University (1994)
- Cambridge University (Magdalene College) (1992)
- College of Law at Guildford (1989)
- Cambridge University (Magdalene College) (1988)
Baker & McKenzie Wong & Leow is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.