Brian focuses his practice on mergers and other commercial combinations subject to antitrust scrutiny. His transactional counseling is comprehensive, including advice on structuring, pre-closing notification requirements, premerger coordination limits, antitrust risk-allocation provisions, and successfully navigating any substantive review or challenge by governmental antitrust agencies.
Brian's clients come from a wide range of industries, including automotive, healthcare, agribusiness, insurance, technology, chemical manufacturing, oilfield services, power infrastructure, freight forwarding, pharmaceuticals, medical waste, recycling, packaging, telecommunications, and building products.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented The Freeman Company in connection with the sale of its subsidiary Encore Event Technologies to Blackstone
- Represented Hitachi in its USD 6 billion acquisition of the global power-grid business from ABB Ltd.
- Represented Gebr. Knauf in connection with its USD 7 billion acquisition of USG Corporation
- Represented German-based commercial vehicle component manufacturer in its proposed acquisition of a leading rival
- Represented Fortune 200 consumer products company in multiple matters involving licensing, distribution, and M&A activity.
- Represented leading technology provider on several multi-national transactions.
- Represented India's leading pharmaceutical company in acquisition of U.S.-based ocular care company.
- Represented Swiss construction materials firm on multiple acquisitions.
- Represented Japan-based medical device and information technology company in acquisition of U.S.-based medical device company.
- Represented Japan-based manufacturer and seller of glass substrates in USD 540 million acquisition of U.S.-based rival.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Section on Antitrust Law
- New York State Bar Association - Member
- District of Columbia Bar - Member
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit~United States
- U.S. Supreme Court~United States
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia~United States
- District of Columbia~United States
- New York~United States
- Georgetown University Law Center (JD)
- James Madison University (BA, Honors)
Panelist, "Managing Your Strategic Relationships," Association of Corporate Counsel, Life Cycle of a Deal program, December 2019
Panel Moderator, "Cartel Enforcement and Antitrust Compliance Around the World," The Tenth Annual Chicago Forum on International Antitrust Issues, Northwestern University School of Law, October 2019
Co-presenter, Post Acquisition Integration Antitrust Compliance Webinar, April 2016
Speaker, ABA Corporate Counseling November Monthly Update, 9 December 2015
Co-presenter, "Multi-Jurisdictional Merger Control Analysis," Zurich, Switzerland, 5 September 2014
Co-presenter, "US Antitrust & Intellectual Property Law: Navigating the Intersection," Tokyo, Japan, 3 October 2013
Speaker, "Health and Pharmaceuticals Committee: Recent Development Series, August – September 2012," ABA Antitrust Section, October 2012
Co-lecturer, "Global Merger Control Update," Webinars March 2011, October 2011, April 2012 and October 2012